Tank Journal Archive

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
I'm in the boaring process of cycling at the moment. Nothing much to write home about really. My pre seeded marine pure died and gave me one mega ammonia spike it's Slowely coming down though will move a second block of marine pure over today see if it dies also or helps process the ammonia faster. The first block has been in there a week and a half and has started processing the ammonia so hopefully the second block doesn't die like the first did
image.jpeg

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Well ammonia and nitrite are 0 finally and some odd fish that have no mates have been added to finish the cycling and a nice handful of grape caulerpa algae is growing in the fuge. Hopefully in the next few weeks my fish can all transit to there new home

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
The odd fish have been going ok for 3 days and neutrients staying at 0 so the first fish pair made its way over today. My jumbo occy clown pair. They are fat and healthy wild caught I got about a year ago riddled in white spot. 3 months qt with hypo treatment and they have been spot free ever since. Happy in there new home.
image.jpeg

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
so things have been slow going, i have moved 2 pair of banggai and mt picasso pie to the tank and there was a small ammonia spike which come under control quite fast followed by a huge diatom outbreak. i moved my skimmer and my algae turf scrubber to the tank and it was all clearing up, then my temp feed pump for my turf scrubber failed and the algae died and bombed the tank. this made my skimmer go crazy also and has not been able to run for 2 days. the marine pure is doing its job and almost zeroed out the bomb 3 days in though and the fish in the tank survived lucky.
a lot of things are mounted temp with temp feed pumps as I'm awaiting the arrival of some better equipment that wasn't originally in the plan of the build.
i will have upgraded to a 8000L/H pump which runs the first level and will run my reactors and turf scrubbers (I'm getting 2 new ones) and have a biopellet reactor also.
slow and steady to let the tank recover and things should be all well.
my old tanks are ready for shutdown and have been a bit neglected as i planned to shut them down much sooner so some extra maintenance has been needed lately keeping me busy with there mass GHA growths everywhere

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
large water changes are not so easy here. i was trying to get a supply of nsw and setup my own filtration system for it but the supply is very unstable and the collectors often collect from around river mouth etc right on the beach so that idea was scrapped.
i always have a standby pack of salt to mix unto 200L in emergency if i need it. the ammonia spike was to less than .2 it was not much discolour from 0 but not 0 so i checked water 2x a day to make sure it didn't get any worse.
unfortunately the fish have stopped laying with the moving disturbance and one pair has stopped feeding since moving to the new tank.
i do have some ziss egg tumblers on there way from aust though :)

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
yes one of the banggai pairs, i am using a syringe blowing brine shrimp in there face now and they take the odd bite but not feeding like they use to, this pair was always up at the glass begging for food as soon as i come in the room before.

the egg tumblers look like decent quality, much better than a coke bottle thats for sure :) i have 3 on order, my dad will bring them with him when he comes start of august for a visit.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
...the egg tumblers look like decent quality, much better than a coke bottle thats for sure :) i have 3 on order, my dad will bring them with him when he comes start of august for a visit.
Mine had a metal grill (stainless steel?) grill over the outlet - you might want to consider replacing this with something more appropriate for salt water.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Well long time since a update, all livestock is now migrated to the new tank, 750L total volume, 6 blocks of marine pure for bio filtration. Large fuge, bio pellet reactor, large algae turf scrubber, curve7 skimmer running 2 pumps one to supply each level of the tank.
My ziss egg tumblers arrived along with some peppermints.
My cardinals have started laying again finally so good timing.
I got some nice zoa come also but my cheap trial zoa don't seem to like my tank so the new ones have been sent to a friends sps frag tank for now.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
I will get some over the next day or 2, still got to clean up the tank room and the tanks are due for a syphon clean.. The fish are messy need there tanks cleaned every 2-3days.. Don't like dirty tank photos lol.
Just one shot of my clown tanks. This was a few weeks ago I have since changed all there homes to ceramic pots
image.jpeg

Will get shots of my sump etc soon

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Heavy feedings tends to result in somewhat dirty looking tanks so I don't have a problem with that ...

Are you trying with some redlines?

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
No I just put them in to help keep the tanks a bit cleaner, they are much more affordable here in nam. I hear they are crazy expensive at home.
I did look into raising redlines but they seem way way more difficult than peps. Maybe later when I got the current stock breeding down packed.
Heavy feeding does take its toll on tank cleanliness. That is the exact reason I went very over kill on the marine pure blocks. Running 6 large blocks and still some live rock, macro and the algae scrubber.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
The dirty tanks are never ending so just got some photos.
The first one is my tank drain area with the stacks of marine pure and my refuge which has some live rock, a rack with some basic zoa and mushrooms and my grape caulerpa macro. I have found this macro growth rate far exceeds the normal caulerpa, cheato or any other macro I have tried.
image.jpeg

The next is my return pumps, the black box on the left is my algae turf scrubber which sits above my 2 return pumps. And on the right is my reactor/skimmer compartment with a bubble magus curve 7 skimmer and a diy bio pellet reactor.
image.jpeg

Next is my clown tanks, from left to right is black ice snowflakes, Wild occy, lightning maroon, Picasso (single partner didn't survive the move), small occy pair origin Unknown.
image.jpeg
Last is my Cardinal tanks they look empty because they are always hiding, trying to think of what to put in with them to make them more comfortable, maybe some macro when I upgrade there lighting, any suggestions welcome.
image.jpeg

midjim

Oct 10, 2011
qld
Looks like a great set up, breeding is a lot of work. It looks like you have put a lot of thought into this set up I hope it all goes to plan for you well done.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Thanks midjim yes a lot of planing and consulting with a friend in the industry to try make the tank a build once build right sort of thing.

Well I have a exciting and disappointing update at the same time.. My new peppermints had there first batch of fry tonight.. That was exciting.
The disappointment comes that my airline for my fry trap come off so the fry didn't end up in the trap, the clowns they are in with and the pep pair were all in a feeding on the fry.. This also taught me something else, the peppermints are caniblistic eating there own fry of given a chance, so I will need to also make a barrier to stop them accessing the fry trap and once I got it working again and fry flowing into it the adults then climbed onto the mesh outlet of the trap and we're reaching through still trying to catch the fry. A few things to fix before next round and about 20 survivors to have a small test with raising the young while I wait for the next lot to hatch

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Well I still have some of the small catch of pep fry.. I'm quite surprised they survived and also super surprised at the hardiness of them.. Far easier to get through the first few days than harliquins..
I have a very simple plastic food container sitting in my sump so it can maintain temp, it holds about 1.5L of water and has a air line slowely bubbling in one corner. Opposite corner on the outside of the sump I have a small led taped to the glass to keep the food and fry attracted to that side of the container..
As it is a super small container and I have a extremely over kill filtration setup I change about 500ml a day. I have a airline hose with air stone in the container that syphons into my sump. The airstone stops any bbs or fry being sucked out. This is a method I learned for water changes on pod cultures syphoning through a air stone.
My pep has a new batch of eggs so trying to work out a setup to get better catch numbers next round so I have a decent number of fry to work with..

Next exciting news is one of my cardinal pairs is laying again.. The male had held the eggs for about 1.5weeks which is far longer than they ever use to in my old tank. I stripped them from him last night and have them all in a shiny new Ziss egg tumbler now.. Thanks for the tip.. Fingers crossed for the batch