Tank Journal Archive

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
@MagicJ my first lot of cardinals in the Ziss were doing fantastic, they were about a week old, happily feeding on the bbs, I have multiple batches running constantly so they always get fresh hatched. Been feed 3 times a day I leave the air off for a while so it doesn't drag the bbs out I put it on every few hours to keep the water inside clean. Then run it gently overnight while they are sleeping then add fresh feed first thing in the morning.. I wake up today to find every one of them dead on the bottom of the tumbler. From free swimming and feeding last night to all dead this morning. Not sure what went wrong. Any advice??

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sad to hear Eric :(

You might like to do some research on 'Sudden Fright Syndrome' or SFS.

I am no expert but I suspect your problem is primarily caused by feeding NHBBS which is more than around 4 hours old (i.e. they have used up their yolk sacks), and which has not been enriched with a selcon type product, which contains fatty acids. A lack of these fatty acids in their food causes the baby Banggai's to use essential fatty acids that are used for nerve building/function just to sustain life and they suffer from nerve damage. Basically any large stimulus (feeding, lights going on, a net etc) causes them to literally short circuit.

I used to always put some nano in with my BBS for a few hours before feeding to the fry.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
I had read about that before, I thought it tended to effect them much later in life and also why I had multiple bbs hatches constantly refreshing them but clearly it's not enough. Will try track down and start a new phyto culture

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Well a friend has some contacts now at the marine instatute and they will help me with a starter culture for a new batch of phyto.. Hopefully will have it up and running before the next lot of eggs come about