Tank Journal Archive

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Tank Disaster
I have been away on holidays only to come home yesterday to find that the power was out and had been out for at least a few days. After getting it all up and running again the death toll is,
1 x Lamarcks Angel
2 x Dispar Athias
1 x Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
1 x Fairy Wrasse
2 x Peppermint Shrimp

I had a person coming in to feed and check the fish ( and dogs), but apparently he didn't notice the tank lights not coming on or the whole house having no power.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Damn, sorry to hear this! I guess the house watcher was not a fish person at all.
Did the corals make it through without power?

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Damn, sorry to hear this! I guess the house watcher was not a fish person at all.
Did the corals make it through without power?
Yeah, they did. they were all looking pretty sad but have perked up with a bit temperature increase and light.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Oh that's terrible. Lucky it wa warmish weather or might have lost the lot. I am so sorry this has happened. Anything I can do to help you please ask. !

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
That's harsh mate, & something I think every reefer dreads!
Hopefully the stock you have left pulls up OK & you can get on top of it again.
Good luck.

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Definitely every hobbyist nightmare :-( At least it wasn't a total disaster and you're home now.

There's a mod that can be installed notify us if these issues. I should get on to it

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
The rest of the fish seem fine. They are all eating and swimming around.
When I first got home their breathing was very laboured and all hiding.
The survivors are
One spot Fox Face
Yellow Tang
Pair of Clowns
Spotted Mandarin

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Sorry to hear that mate.
I have just returned from what was meant to be 6 nights away , After an additional stay in hospital ended up being 2 weeks. I have a $60 IP camera from ebay on my tank where I could see the tank plus the RO water container .it was worth it's weight in gold to me because I could see how long It had left.
did you have any backup power. Ie pumps ?(even though it would of only lasted a day)

Sorry to hear that. Why was the power out? If it was the suppliers fault you can ask them for a claim form. Just be ready to chase them because you have to hassle them until they pay you to nick off.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
time for a big battery backup on atleast one wave maker! could have kept it running for a further 24hr

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
I thought the fact that I was paying someone to come here everyday and check would of meant that the absolute worst case scenario would be 23 hrs without power. But I think the guy I was paying didn't give a shit and just threw the food in and left. I had sorted out with my local LFS that if he had any issues they would come out and get it right, he just didn't bother.
So I will be checking out alternative ways to deal with this and I think @Lesley and I can sort out a deal for looking after each others tanks.

Last edited:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I thought the fact that I was paying someone to come here everyday and check would of meant that the absolute worst case scenario would be 23 hrs without power. But I think the guy I was paying didn't give a shit and just threw the food in and left. I had sorted out with my local LFS that if he had any issues they would come out and get it right, he just didn't bother.
So I will be checking out alternative ways to deal with this and I think @Lesley and I can sort out a deal for looking after each others tanks.
More than happy mate. At least we can tell if something is off !