Reef Discussion

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Tank Flow
How much flow is too much?

I currently have a 3250 power head in my tank, my tank holds 250L

This has never been on my mind until I got my Bangaii recently.

Is this to much flow for my tank?

I know they like slow flow and currently they are drifting a little and not sitting 100 % Stationary

They flow doesn't seem to bother anyone else at this point in time

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If that is 3,250 l/h then no, it is not too much. Every tank is different but you should be looking at around 20x turnover for a mixed reef and 30+x with SPS i.e. you should be looking around 5,000 l/h for your tank. Keep in mind that a lot of the cheaper powerheads can be a bit generous with their flow ratings.

If you place the powerheads in the right spots you should have some high flow areas and some low flows areas - the fish can then choose what they want :)

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Majic - if my tank is 250L , should i be using a pump over 5000l/h as a return to compensate for the loss of pumping up the pipe from the sump?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You should be looking for 4 to 5 times tank volume as the throughput of the sump. In your case, something around 1,100 l/h after taking into account the head loss should be adequate - each pump is different but at a guess a pump rated for around 1,400 l/h at zero head should be adequate. Look at the specs to see what the actual head loss is.

I am using a cheap Aqua One 2200 L/h on my 500l system and I am very happy with the flow throught the sump.

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Just so you guys know

I pointed my powerhead further down and more directly towards the live rock in my tank.

The fish are now enjoying a low flow area and my torch has never looked better.

Instant results

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Excellent. just to confirm. the torch liked the more flow or less flow? im guessing the torch is on the rocks so that means more flow? :rolleyes

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Less It's on the top of the rocks, I pointed the powerhead towards the base of the rocks

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
The thing to remember about flow is that in the ocean, flow direction is random and ever changing. The important issue with marine fish/invertebrate keeping is to ensure that you have no "dead spots" in your tank. I am an advocate of random/non-linear flow (you have seen my tank, all water molecules are in constant motion, even within and behind the live rock).
The organisims that we keep in our aquarioums have evolved over thousands of years to respond, and indeed rely on random flow. If you have the option to do so, I recomend the use of both SCWDs and Tunze waveboxes. From my experiences, these peices of equipment replicate the random flows that exist in nature. The SCWD replicates surge, where as the Wavebox replicates waves crashing across the surface of the ocean.
Hope that this hepls :-)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Also remember that tunzes and vortech's can create non linear flow making the controllers change between pumps :rolleyes