Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Tank Stand Build
Move date has been set for 11/2 so not long now. I can leave tank at my parents place in the wall for a while but it will be coming with me as soon as I can sort this stand out.

Just looking for some guides and if anyone can give me some tips

Need to build stand for my 3foot tank and sump. First up is there likely to be any weight issues in a normal house? don't really want it falling through the floor or is there an easier way to find out?

I found an old article on here http://thereefuge.com/threads/building-your-own-stand-the-right-way.2151/

which im already going through just wondering if there's any others out there worth reading? In general im pretty handy with this stuff so I don't imagine lack of skill coming into play but at the end of the I've got no formal training in carpentry

Concrete slab or wood flooring? I had a 3x2x2 on laminate click in flooring and it was fine. As for building the frame. I bought my steel from a steel supplier and had a mate weld it for me. Just do small tacks and always measure corner to corner to be sure you are square. Don't do long welds until all the smaller tacks are done and then move around welding in spots that are colder.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Ended up finding a wood one on gumtree for $20 haha, going to reinforce a bit and modify for some extra storage. Uprights are 2x4 - platforms looks to be 1x2 with 1x4 around the edges.

Top part of the frame where the tank sits is the same as the bottom - any upgrade idea's recommended.

I figured this would be a good spot to start savings on the cost a fair bit. I imagine it would be fine but going to make a bit stronger to be sure

[Broken External Image]:http://imgur.com/a/pytlj

Last edited:

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
The video is starting to age a little bit, however i went with this design for my holding tank. Very stable and extremely easy to make.It is a freshwater channel but he makes things tough :). Hope it helps.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Here is a picture that I found online that resembles closely how I construct stands with timber. (ignore the dimensions, design is the same)

IMG_5167.JPG

You could get away with one cross brace in the middle for 3x2x2.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I think the one I have ended up with should be fine. I'm going to fill up over the weekend with tap water in my old tank just to check.

I know salt water is heavier then with the rock even heavier would that make a noticeable different to testing?

Only problem i can see if the top part that the tank sits on the cross brace are made of much thinner timber, reinforced with some spare 2x4 i had lying around so hoping that works

Any recommendations on what to paint it with for water proofing?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
In the past I have used an exterior house undercoat followed by 2 coats of exterior house top coat. It has worked well for me.

I do not know how waterproof the finish is, but if it's good enough to withstand the outdoors, it should be fine for my stand.