Tank Journal Archive

Tank Stand
The new tank arrives on Saturday however I really wanted the stand to be 900mm high but we couldn't get it in the house at that size. The stand is at the moment is 760mm high and I want to build a stand (3 box units) to go under the stand to get the high to 900mm.

I am very concerned that if I do that the stand won't hold the weight, this plan was recommend by the tank builder. Has anyone ever build a stand this way?

Attachments

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Nice stuff :)

I would say you can definitly get that to work. You might be able to boost it up enough with some adjustable feet, then cover it with a kickboard.

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
I would go the box route rather than adjustable feet = better weight distrubition accross the whole stand...

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
I would go the box route rather than adjustable feet = better weight distrubition accross the whole stand...
Adjustable feet allow for any distortion in the floor or future floors too. Just worth considering.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Cant comment on the stand itself but can comment on the height. Ours is 950mm high and love it. No bending to see anything you wont regret the extra height until you need to reach the bottom of the tank. But worth it !
P.S extra height under tank for skimmer etc. (ours only just fits under now)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I will certainly be going higher on my next tank. Mine is currently 900mm high and I wish I went 1.1m... Then again, if I went 1.1m high, I probably would have wished I went 900mm high :P

Adjustable feet will work as long as you use enough of them (I think you'd want to do like 6-8 or more?) and they are rated well and truly over the total weight.
Sam

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Ah derp, 10x3x2.2. I would go like 10 feet minimum. Maybe a few more in the middle.

Morgy b

Jul 25, 2012
Sutherland
The plan you're considering will work well.
Cabinet makers use the same thing, it's called a kicker. Even made out of mdf they hold very large amounts of weight.
+1 to that I am a cabinet maker and just make a simple ladder frame up out of timer @ 150mm High.
It will be easier to level up as well. Then you just slide the stand on top and fix down and you are good to go.
If you cannot imagine it draw a long rectangle size of the frame ( to scale) split it down the middle then run braces/noggins between the 3 pieces.
In effect creating a ladder looking piece.

Ninja

Sep 17, 2014
If you put it on boxes you are still not going to have anymore space inside, height wise.

+1 to that I am a cabinet maker and just make a simple ladder frame up out of timer @ 150mm High.
It will be easier to level up as well. Then you just slide the stand on top and fix down and you are good to go.
If you cannot imagine it draw a long rectangle size of the frame ( to scale) split it down the middle then run braces/noggins between the 3 pieces.
In effect creating a ladder looking piece.
Thank you, we've just spaced out the boxes (ladder) design and should have it all together tonight.

Thanks everyone, I will post updated photos once we have it built. I don't need any hieght inside the stand as we are putting the on the other side of the wall in it's own cabinet (about 1200mm high).