Tank Journal Archive

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Tank Update 12/6/17
Leopard wrasse made an appearance this morning 1 week after he made his grand entrance into the tank.

Currently swapping whose hiding in the sand vs who is out with my other wrasse, so not sure if they've met yet

Also this morning finally set up the new skimmer, tank's semi decorative trim had to take a hit so I can get it in/ out but I was planning on getting a removable front panel anyway so maybe this will make me hurry that up

My solo SPS frag is still surviving so tank seems to be still going well

Pics of new additions:
upload_2017-6-12_11-47-23.jpeg

upload_2017-6-12_11-47-53.jpeg

upload_2017-6-12_11-49-26.jpeg

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
It's about 8 at the moment checked yesterday was 7ish so added some more buffer in, that photo was from the day i installed. It's got a bit now but i can only run the pump at low power its at 20% otherwise the skimmer overflows even with the out valve fully open. Is this normal?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
It's about 8 at the moment checked yesterday was 7ish so added some more buffer in, that photo was from the day i installed. It's got a bit now but i can only run the pump at low power its at 20% otherwise the skimmer overflows even with the out valve fully open. Is this normal?
Your water level is too high in the skimmer chamber, should be 12 -15 cm. You can put a lunch box container or something under it to raise the skimmer. The bubbles should pop under the cup where it joins the neck, from there skim will develop.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Yea I'm still working on that, you can see the top of the stand in the picture so I don't really have that much room as it is.

I can maybe raise it a tiny bit but then it might be harder to remove the skimmer cup unless I can get something that's easy to slide in and out from under it.

I've still got my HOB skimmer running on the main tank up top till I can see if I can get this working properly if not i might have to see if I can remove the glass panel to drop the water level in the skimmer chamber

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Your water level is too high in the skimmer chamber, should be 12 -15 cm. You can put a lunch box container or something under it to raise the skimmer. The bubbles should pop under the cup where it joins the neck, from there skim will develop.
Skimming at that level in the pic is just a little high. It will just create really wet skim. I personally have the bubbles half way up the cup.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Skimming at that level in the pic is just a little high. It will just create really wet skim. I personally have the bubbles half way up the cup.
I run the same skimmer as pictured with pump on max speed and gate almost 1/4 closed the bubbles sit 40mm below the cup.
My water level is 15cm.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I've got it skimming half way up the cup but still at only 20% speed, has pulled out about 1.5cm of fairly dark skimmate in 2 days. So it's at least working, I'll have a look at what I can do on the weekend for raising it, maybe I can put a take away container under it or cut some pvc just need something that's easy to take out as I'll need to move it to be able to get the cup out