Tank Journal Archive

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Tank Updates
Tank Pictures :

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

After patiently recruiting all the equipment to put together my first reef tank, I have finally started the the cycling process.

I filled my tank up with premium live rock (12kg) and coral sand and now playing the waiting game.

I am going to post tank updates and any problems I have come across.

Im a little behind so the first post will be a little long.

I started testing my water 4 days in with these results:

Date Salinity PH Ammonia NO2 NO3 CA2 KH PO4 Temp
11/08 1.024 8 0.50 0 0 500 10 0 26.5
12/08 1.024 8 1.00 0 0 N/A N/A N/a 26.3

****Water Change*** 20%

13/08 1.025 8 1.00 0.25 0 N/A N/A N/a 26.3
14/08 1.024 8 2.00 0.25 0 N/A N/A N/a 27.2
15/08 1.024 8 2.00 2.00 0 N/A N/A N/a 25.7

Last edited:

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Beauty.

Well did the test for pH, ammonia, NO2, NO3. These are the results respectively 8, 1.0, 5.0, 5.0.

This is great news cycle is well underway ammonia spike is finished and the levels are decreasing and the first signs of NO3.

Ive noticed a brownish layer forming on top of the sand, Ive did some research and believe its a diatom out break. Do i just leave it and wait for the cycle to complete then let the CUC do the work? What is the best action to take?

How long after the cycle should I wait before introducing my first livestock? And in what order should i introduce them in (Coral, FIsh, CUC)???

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yep it will be the diatoms, this will be followed by other algae most likely. You can safely add your CUC as soon as your ammonia and nitrite is 0. The longer you can wait after the cycle to add coral and fish, the better. If your water parameters are with in range then you can try some corals and fish but make sure you add them slowly. The CUC should be first and then coral + fish :)

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Just wondering if any one could i.d this, its like a clam that is embedded in the live rock looks like a eye that just about to close.

The first photo is when the shell is closed, the next is when its open.
photo 4.PNG

photo 3 copy.PNG

Also a few quick snaps of the little tiny snail getting to cleaning the tank. Ive counted about 20 but i know there are many more. They are all over the sand bed and live rock. They have even hit the glass :)

photo 1.PNG
photo 2.PNG
photo 3.PNG

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
18/08/13

Salinity 1.024
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
NO2 5.0
NO3 20
Ca2 460
KH 11
PO43 0.25
Temp 26

Pretty happy to see ammonia levels reach zero, hopefully only one more week left to cycle :worship

photo-3.JPG

The algae bloom is in full effect, taking over the live rock, glass and sand bed. Can not wait to get the CUC!!

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Also today i have noticed tons of tiny bugs all over the glass, I'm guessing there a normal thing at tho time :S so an i.d on them will be great :)

I've worked it out for myself, I've got copepods.

Last edited:

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Ok great new :)

Tank has cycled, took the water to the LFS to get tested with more accurate kits. Ammonia 0, NO2 0 and small result for NO3.

I have purchased some new livestock for the tank. And all seem happy.

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Completed first proper water change after cycle. After viewing a few youtube videos went of with a hitch. such out a lot of sediment that was filtered down into the sump before i put the filter sock on, happy about that. The new refractometer worked great, recommend to everyone. Also picking up a media reactor very soon and getting another coral and hopefully a few snails tomorrow :) any recommendations??

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Tank is going great all levels seem to be stable but from what i have read still in a "cycling" period. Maintaining weekly water changes. Corals are responding to target feeding which is great to watch.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Movie of feeding attached.

Attachments

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tanks looking great and you have a good start on corals, nice work!

A late reply about the shellfish, I have a couple of different types of bivalves on my live rock as well as some that live inside the rock itself. The largest is a spondylus bivalve with small spikes on the shell which is about 1.5cm across and growing. Great fun finding new things on the rock.

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Thanyou @Priscacara :)

I have to physically restrain myself from going down to the LFS to buy more stuff everyday. I have a few corals coming in the next couple of day, after i get them sorted i will let my tank mature for abit before adding anything else.

I shall keep you posted :)

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Ok I have added some macro algae and have my sump as I like it.

I have a
-fluvial C2 HOB filter running poly filter and carbon
small internal filter that has had the filter wool taken out and replaced it with purigen -just to add more flow running through the purigen.
-two 100w heathers
-tunze 9002 skimmer (so impressed with it)
-some live rock
-chaeto with desk light (may look to up grade to LED)
-300micron filter sock
-return pump

sump.jpg

A little on the tank.
The parameters have all remained stable, I have been on top of checking every day. Have upgraded to saifert test kits. Also very religiously doing water changes every 4-5 days.
The algae has stopped growing and the tang is doing its job of getting rid of it. Going to be hard to say good bye to him, such a awesome fish.

Attachments