Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If you design it dry, when you glue it the design will end up smaller. You can't dry fit as tight as when you glue it.

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
That's exactly what I was gonna say @macca_75 .

I've been playing with PVC a lot lately and have learnt that trick after a few mistakes and wasted pieces!

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Haha, ;) ii put that calculation into my cuts already haha, at the moment everything is oversized quite a bit, so when its all pushed in nicely, it should slide into optimum position

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I was going to crack a joke about everything being smaller than it first appears, but I thought better.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
@Buddy What are the missing pieces that i need to find? And will adding a valve to the airhose i have at the moment do the same job as adding one ontop on the angle, like in the photo you added?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
You want a cap for your syphon line to make it airtight, and add a down turned elbow
You can leave the other drain with the air hose and just add an up turned elbow like in my pic.
You want a valve on the syphon line where its easy to get to, most likely near the end of the pipe in the sump.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Rightyo, well i went and got 2 90 degree angles and some caps, so ill put them in and wait patiently for when i can add salt water to the setup

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
GOOD NEWS. I have ordered lights. The 8xt5ho from guppys, this is just a temporary light until I save up for some better leds. I have also managed to snag a mp40wes for a wavemaker. So hopefully I will have them both set on my tank by the end of the week. So that means that the last piece of the puzzle I need is water! Hopefully I'll have enough money by the end of the month to be able to get this baby wet and cycling! Exciting times ahead!!.
Now the 8 th50 tubes may be too many but I bought it for a variety of reasons. 1) the tank is 10cm longer than the unit, so I'll.need to hang it a little. 2) the tank and hanging height will probably put the light about 3ft off the bottom. 3 the bracing on the tank is 15mm thick and 10cm wide, leading to a gap about 50x40 to light a 70cm cube.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Lights lights lights!
My lights arrived today 8x24wt5ho excellence. Now keeping in mind that this is a guppys unit, i am highly impresses, the entire outer shell is metal, the only plastic in the unit is the reflector and the light ends. It has flawless joins and it doesnt break the bank, what more do you want!? The unit arrived in a rather large box, and i was starting to think "shit its bigger than i thought", however upon opening the box i find that it is surrounded by 2 or so inches of foam all round, very impressed with this bit. As i started pulling stuff out of the box, first the hanging cord and then the stands. I noticed that it has 4 power cords, 2 globes for each cord, now it does not have any switches, but the 4 power cords definatly give you more ability to play with the lighting, and set each set of 2 globes onto a timer. Very very very impressive for the price.
But now the bad bits. You need a screwdriver to physically open the unit to remove the splash cover so you can get the globes out and remove them from their cardboard tubes. It doesn't have switches. And the reflector has some small imperfections, tiny little waves in the plastic that would have come from it being wedged into the unit. Also the website says that it should come with 2x10,000k 2x12000k 2x14000k and 2x actinic globes, sadly i only received 8x10,000k globes, now the website does say that it cannot control which globes come with the unit, so im not going to complain about it. (unless Andries reads this, please can i have the other globes, lol jokes jokes).
Also ill add after about 4-5 hours of running, the unit is staying relitivly cool, i can still touch and hold my hand flat on the top of the unit, no worries.
Watch this space, photos to come!!

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Good news, my mp40wes arrived today, after some initial teething problems caused by not having a manual for it, it is now working perfectly apart from a little buzz when it starts to approach full speed. If i can manage to find a second-hand mp10wes, i may grab it and see if a) it will fit on the glass (which is 10mm) and b) if it does fit, the difference having a slave pump makes.
I am also looking for a skimmer replacement, something a bit quieter, ill be looking upto the $400 or under mark. Now i would like this new skimmer to have a smaller footprint than the one i have at the moment, i may even look at using multiple smaller skimmers, instead of one big one, as this would then give me a little more room to play with in the sump. Thaughts? ideas? This will be a within the next 6months change as i need some more important things first, primarily new heaters and return pump.
That is all for now. Cheers

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
More good new, the plumbing bits arrived today and i agree that i stuffed it up, the plumbing is now silent. Now all i have to do is find a way to make the skimmer quieter, im looking to achieve this by using foam, about 2" thick and applying it to the cabinet as a type of insulation/noise proofing. The sound is not the skimmer itself but the pump vibration noise.
Thoughts??

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
More good new, the plumbing bits arrived today and i agree that i stuffed it up, the plumbing is now silent. Now all i have to do is find a way to make the skimmer quieter, im looking to achieve this by using foam, about 2" thick and applying it to the cabinet as a type of insulation/noise proofing. The sound is not the skimmer itself but the pump vibration noise.
Thoughts??
I've heard of it being done before and working, is the skimmer on a stand at all? Eg. Egg crate, that should also help
Edit: also places like Clark rubber should sell adhesive foam too

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
The skimmer is now sitting on a piece of carpet rubber (soft-medium rubber) That is taking the vibration off the glass, so its a lot better, but it still makes a fair bit of noise