Tank Journal Archive

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Tank Upgrade?
So it's been a long time since I've update this journal, not much has really been happening with the tank, and I've been busy helping a mate set up his custom 5' x 2.5'. Recently i havn't really added any corals to the tank, I've been working on stability, dosing, and color and growth of my SPS. I started using Aquaforest Components Strong a little over a month ago, and started to see some improvements after a couple of weeks, however the last 3 weeks or so have been a PITA, i lost a nice acro, and the 2 red monti chips i was trying to resurrect shit the bed in the space of 3 days. The crazy part, all my other SPS are still doing fine, PO4 still low, Nitrate still in the same spot, i did have a slight fall in Alk as growth went through the roof, but nothing that should have caused this (drop was around 1.4 dkh). Calc fine, mag fine.... brain..... gone.

So it's time for an upgrade. Currently talking to Dave at Deer Park (my LFS) about a custom 4x2x2, and should have things kinked off this week, will be ghost overflow, one of Dave's trademark epic sumps, timber stand. I'll be getting panels made to size and after recessing some magnets into both the panels and the stand, they will be really easily removable. As for lighting i managed to score 2 more Hydra 26's at a ripper price to add to my existing unit, just need to figure out how im going to mount them. Probably going to look into an aluminium frame / hood to hang the lights, and add the same panels to cover it, just need to find a way to keep clear access to the tank. Skimmer will be a Nyos 160, I've seen them in use, in store, and in new setups and from what I've seen these things are monsters (for the price) and do an incredible job. Will be running 2 x MP10WQD, they will pretty well sit at 100% then whole time, but should be enough flow for a 4' tank, if i think I'm lacking i can always add 1 or 2 more to the back wall (or just upgrade to MP40's). Other than that, i'll be starting with all new base rock, to FINALLY get rid of the bubble algae that's been annoying me the past 6 months. With all the marine pure i have in my current tank, I'm hoping the changeover should be nice and smooth without needing to cycle the new tank.

Stock is something I'm really undecided on, at this stage its going to become a mixed reef with a twist, I'll most likely be adding a Radiata Lionfish, I've had my eyes on these guys since i was a kid, and you don't often see them in reef tanks (for obvious reasons [shrimp etc.]) but he'll be the show piece in the tank. I'll be looking to re-home my Coral Banded Shrimp, and adding the smallest lion i can get my hands on. The only other potential addition will be an ember blenny, and MAYBE a nice small Zebra Moray Eel, or Snowflake if he'll be too big. I really like the idea of a diverse tank, and as long as i can keep other fish larger than the lion (along with hopefully training him to frozen early enough in the hope it's all he'll want to eat) it could add a really nice dimension to the traditional mixed reef (tangs, shrimp, clowns, anthias etc.)

But hey, we'll see how thing pan out over the next couple of months as i get things ready and wait for the new tank :D.