Tank Journal Archive

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Tear Down And Reboot
The tank was glorious about 3 years ago, then I started a new business and didn't have the energy to keep up with maintenance on the tank. Slowly things died or bleached, and the guilt and shame mounted up. Equipment broke, lights needed changing etc.

So, I'm gutting the tank, giving it a good scrub and converting it to a tropical tank. Guppies, tetras, driftwood, maybe some hardy plants. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more with the reduced maintenance.

This will be the first time in 10+ years I haven't had a marine tank.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Good luck
Sometimes things change in life and you have to do what you have to do
It doesn't mean In 3 yrs you won't come back :)!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Good luck
Sometimes things change in life and you have to do what you have to do
It doesn't mean In 3 yrs you won't come back :)!
Very true!

Nano?

P.S Cichlids! Do it :D
Had a six foot cichlid tank before, they are great fish to have. My tank is 2ft tall so I'm thinking planted will be the way to go with large driftwood and stones.

Not sure if you can get them but if you can but African Shell dwellers can be an awesome pet and you build quite a colony
They are very cute I admit. Tempting!

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Had a six foot cichlid tank before, they are great fish to have. My tank is 2ft tall so I'm thinking planted will be the way to go with large driftwood and stones.
I miss my Venustus! They were both fatties, but awesome to watch. :)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Tanganikan Cichlids are the way to go. So easy once the tank has matured! I'd keep Calvus and angry looking Brevis, Nigripinnis and rock-climbing Transcriptus. The little shell-dwelling Calvus-like things are awesome too.
You can grow that Java fern if you want some greenery.

I definitely think that if I were to go back to an African system after having kept saltwater for a several years now, the experience from keeping saltwater would mean I'd keep the African tank water quality much better.