Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Teeny Tiny Clammy !!
Well visited the LFS today and found the tiniest teeniest little clam ever. Yes there is 4 clams in the picture. Spot the clam !!
@Wrangy I know your the clam man, so wondering if they require any special care when purchased this tiny ? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Its about the size of a 5 cent piece, is open and showing good colour. Will be very interested to see how quickly they actually grow. So photo with his 3 bigger siblings for a comparison in a few months.

While taking pic the blonde decided he wanted to show off a little so had to include him, otherwise I may hurt his feelings.
IMG_3971.JPG
IMG_3985.JPG
IMG_3992.JPG

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
That tank is absolutely AMAZING Lesley!!! Your tank is up there in the top tanks that I REALLY like. Shoot some more pictures from the end, that's just too damn cool.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
That tank is absolutely AMAZING Lesley!!! Your tank is up there in the top tanks that I REALLY like. Shoot some more pictures from the end, that's just too damn cool.
Well from you that comment is pretty darn cool. Lol. The end of the tank is my fav place to stand. We moved a few corals around last night to show piece the end of the tank. so if all happy today will try to get some more pics. Thank you @ReeferRob really appreciate it !

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Tank is looking fantastic Lesley :) very lovely!

In terms of your little clam and special care. The biggest thing will be to make sure that nothing picks on it or irritates it as they, as you can imagine, have a very small tolerance! Other than that plenty of light :) I wouldn't worry about trying to add anything to feed it. As long as it stays open and happy you'll have no issues at all :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Tank is looking fantastic Lesley :) very lovely!

In terms of your little clam and special care. The biggest thing will be to make sure that nothing picks on it or irritates it as they, as you can imagine, have a very small tolerance! Other than that plenty of light :) I wouldn't worry about trying to add anything to feed it. As long as it stays open and happy you'll have no issues at all :)
@Wrangy would you actually place it higher up in the tank then ? Or stay down bottom with other clams for extra light being he is so much lower ? None of our clams are directly under the lights They are all at the end, we run a 5 ft light with 7 foot tank. So 1 foot each end of tank is not directly under lights ? Other clams have been fine but they are much bigger ?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
@Wrangy would you actually place it higher up in the tank then ? Or stay down bottom with other clams for extra light being he is so much lower ? None of our clams are directly under the lights They are all at the end, we run a 5 ft light with 7 foot tank. So 1 foot each end of tank is not directly under lights ? Other clams have been fine but they are much bigger ?
Yes and no lol No because I would try to move and disturb him as very little as possible, that will be the best for him but on the other hand if you start his little tiny cute mantle start to brown out I would move him up to a higher light area :)
So for the moment leave him where he is because he looks happy and I wouldn't move him until you see any changes :)

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
In my experience, tiny clams can die pretty easily if cut or disturbed. If it tips or there is sand sitting on top of it, for a day or two, it is enough to cause some irreversible damage.
The recommendation is to take extra care in not disturbing it.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Yes and no lol No because I would try to move and disturb him as very little as possible, that will be the best for him but on the other hand if you start his little tiny cute mantle start to brown out I would move him up to a higher light area :)
So for the moment leave him where he is because he looks happy and I wouldn't move him until you see any changes :)
Thanks @Wrangy but he is Brown clam anyways. So actually hoping he stays Brown. But I understand what you saying. Thanks for advice :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Thanks @Wrangy but he is Brown clam anyways. So actually hoping he stays Brown. But I understand what you saying. Thanks for advice :)
I'm glad I made sense haha he'll probably be brown until his mantle is large enough that it can support a thinner zooxanthellae population :) then colours will start to devlop nicely!