Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Temperature Controller
I chose the STC 1000 Temperature Controller for switching duties of my Haliea 500a Chiller and twin Schego 600W Titanium Heaters.

as19.postimg.org_ri4c9640z_image.jpg

I chose a simple black project box and used IP68 rated cable grommets for the input and output connections.

as19.postimg.org_6z9g43q3n_image.jpg

Grey grommet is for chiller and black grommet is for dual heaters.
as19.postimg.org_b9o3zov6r_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_yp6151exv_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_s9xtgvtgj_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_u30q57en7_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_sk5c0882r_image.jpg

All done and ready to go!

I also ended up getting some replacement temperature probes that are 5m in length so I can place the controller where it is out of the way.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Have you tested the temp sensors for accuracy?
Hi MagicJ, no I have not tested the sensors yet, I have 4 sensors, so 3 spares. That will be a task for another day.

Did you find much varience with any of the sensors you have tested?

I do have a digtal non contact thermometer and a glass type thermometer that I can use to compare them when the time comes.

yeah share some details on those spare sensors :)
Hi Sam,
My unit uses a 3435K 10KOhm NTC 1% Thermistor. I looked around on the net and found some on eBay that are rated for seawater use. They go up to 10m. :)

I chose the STC 1000 Temperature Controller for switching duties of my Haliea 500a Chiller and twin Schego 600W Titanium Heaters.

View attachment 55380

I chose a simple black project box and used IP68 rated cable grommets for the input and output connections.

View attachment 55381

Grey grommet is for chiller and black grommet is for dual heaters.
View attachment 55382

View attachment 55383

View attachment 55384
View attachment 55385
View attachment 55386
All done and ready to go!

I also ended up getting some replacement temperature probes that are 5m in length so I can place the controller where it is out of the way.
Hy mate, I tagged you in a post about how we calibrated our controllers. As you are close to us you might be able to get your instrument done also. @daveH bought the probe and he might be willing to help you out.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I use digital sensors (DS18B20's) and have found them to vary ±0.5 °C - luckily I have a calibration capability within my temp controller :)

I also have one of the thermometers linked by @somethingfishy76 above.
Thanks MagicJ. I will have a look into the sensors you are using.

I had an idea that would make changing sensors over incase of failure. I figured I would test all my sensors out and keep the calibration value required written on hand.

I was considering using a weather sealed 2 pin quick connect like the one pictured below and getting extra ends for each sensor.

as19.postimg.org_8l758dieb_image.png

as19.postimg.org_d5tbnb23n_image.png

as19.postimg.org_655buj0bn_image.png

It would mean that I would never have to open the box (240v) to change the sensors over:)

Any thoughts?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Would work fine. Although to be honest, you could get away with a less flashy plug (as long as you keep it dry). There is no voltage going through the temp sensor wires.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks MagicJ. I will have a look into the sensors you are using.
Keep in mind that the DS18B20 won't work with the STC controllers, as they require an analogue sensor and not a digital sensor.

The sensors should really be fitted with a plug, although if you are selling the complete STC unit for around $13, you probably don't want to be spending more money than you have too !

I do agree with @Sam Parker - you could use a waterproof connector if you wanted too, but with less than 5v travelling through these wires there are probably some more cost effective solutions available.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Would work fine. Although to be honest, you could get away with a less flashy plug (as long as you keep it dry). There is no voltage going through the temp sensor wires.
Thanks Sam, Good to know. The plugs are cheapies from eBay anyways ;)

Keep in mind that the DS18B20 won't work with the STC controllers, as they require an analogue sensor and not a digital sensor.

The sensors should really be fitted with a plug, although if you are selling the complete STC unit for around $13, you probably don't want to be spending more money than you have too !

I do agree with @Sam Parker - you could use a waterproof connector if you wanted too, but with less than 5v travelling through these wires there are probably some more cost effective solutions available.
Thanks MagicJ. I'd like to keep the plug waterproof as I know there will be splashes around the sump :)