Tank Journal Archive

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The Beginning - 31/08/2011
So I've been debating setting up this TJ since I ordered it, but I figured now would be a good time so I can do my planning in one spot, and get feedback on things as they happen, and update the details below as things change.

*This TJ is already incredibly long without the tank being wet, but hopefully it might help illustrate the amount of effort and thought that needs to go in to this - especially if you're on a budget and want to do some DIY.

Introduction:

System Objectives: Create an "Oh Wow" factor.

Type of reef: Probably mixed. Still working on that.

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 2nd January 2012

Display Tank Dimensions: 4x2x2

Display Lighting: DIY RapidLED build 48 LED with BoostLED Typhon controller

Stand: Custom cabinet.

Hood or Rimless: Crown style open hood to hide the LEDs.

Sump Design: 3x1.5x1.5 with 3 sections

Filtration: The sump.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: Tunze 6095 + a JVP (to be upgraded) Originally 2 x JVP 12000l/hr wavemakers

Return Pump: Waveline DC5000 Originally a Diablo Red Devil D3000

Skimmer: Avast Marine Works CS-1 Originally a Bubble Magus BM-150PRO

Evaporation Top Up: Custom ATO

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: Randy's Recipe with a dosing dump

Alkilinity Addition: Randy's Recipe with a dosing dump

Magnesium Addition: Randy's Recipe with a dosing dump

Prodibiotics Addition: N/A

Coral Food Addition: Various Brightwell products

*Updated 23rd July 2013 to reflect multiple changes

Last edited:

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
OK, so for the current status update and plans:

Tank and sump are in build. Should be able to have delivered end of September.

Planning on getting a diablo 3000 return pump and a couple bags of oceanpure salt from Guppys soon. Will probably buy a couple of cheaper JVP or similar wave makers.

Dunno about skimmer yet - may just get a bubble magus or something that isn't too expensive and use that until I can afford an upgrade.

Cabinet build will start in 2 months or so - something simple.

Ideally, once the cabinet is built, I'll throw the tanks on, and fill with RO/DI to test and get water moving properly, test seals, etc.
Add salt, as I can't mix that much water in one go. Once it's dissolved, load with coral sand, and throw in rock - mostly base rock, but some live rock as well to get the life going in the tank.

May try to rig up the 24 LED DIY unit over the top to at least give it some light while the tank does it's thing, and I can save up for more lights. Figuring on letting the tank do it's thing for 3 months or so before I start bothering it with coral or fish - though I will start on the clean up crew when the algae starts.

Once I've burned through the cheap oceanpure (which I actually found fine in my nano), I'll start using something better.