Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The Black Coral Is Happy
Got him free from a wholesaler who was trying his best to kill him and I got him and he's be blah for about 4 months. I've been targeting him with Plus for about 3 months and he's slowly been opening up some, today his tentacles were out in full force and he got some plankton. Hopefully he's turned the corner now. I'll shoot a pic tomorrow when the water clears, Sunday is heavy cleaning on the reef day.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yes, Tubastrea nigricantha, at least that's what I think it is. None of the polyps have died so I can't be sure and I'm not killing one just to be 100% sure.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
They are tougher than you think, get them eating and you are on a winner. When in doubt some time in the fuge seemed to do mine some good, maybe just because of pod count in there. Good on you for attempting the rescue, even tough corals are often tricky to bring back.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have brine shrimp eggs on the way and they should be here tomorrow so it'll get some of those. I'll pull it out again and feed it when the eggs hatch, add some plus to the water they're in and see what that does.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Might be worth giving it a look after lights out with a torch if its open thats a very good sign. Agree that food is gonna be the magic ingredient

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It
Might be worth giving it a look after lights out with a torch if its open thats a very good sign. Agree that food is gonna be the magic ingredient
It opens up right after the lights go out so I've been target feeding it some. I have an algae culture coming too to make green water to gut load the brine shrimp.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We still in the hunt?
Yep, he's still plugging along. I've been working on getting the nitrates down in the tank. I built a coil denitrator to feed my calcium based denitrator. There's some work going on here using vinegar as a carbon source so I'm experimenting with that. Still waiting for the coil to cycle so the jury's still out yet.