Tank Journal Archive

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
The Build Begins
20170128_143939.jpg
20170128_144047.jpg
I set up my first salt water tank in 2010 which was almost set up to fail from the beginning due to some bad advice. It was a crappy little 30 litre all in one thing.

The wife agreed to me getting a tank that was a little bit bigger. I found a running 5x2x2 for $800 that came with everything so I jumped on it. Off I set to pick it up with the assistance of a few mates. When I got home I realised that I forgot to mention the size of the tank to the wife. To my surprise she didn't really seem all that pissed. It ran relatively smooth but due to being deployed I had to sell it. Once I got home I set up yet another tank but on a much smaller and cheaper scale but due to kids and several impending moves due to work I just kind of gave up.

Now that I will not be moving for quite some time I figured I would give it another go. I came across someone giving away a pretty decent tank so I jumped on it before getting approval from the boss. She didn't seem overly happy about it when I told her a mate was dropping it off that night. Once it was unloaded and I told her my plans for it she actually seemed kind of happy about it.

20170128_143939.jpg
the tank came with white cladding which could use a bit of a clean up and repaint as with the stand. The end of the sump was cracked when I got it but $30 for some glass and silicone quickly fixed that.

I'm planning on going with a minimalist scape with minimal livestock (maybe a max of 4 fish). I was planning on softies and LPS but the wife likes the colourful stick looking corals so I'll try to keep her happy :p.

Lighting will be 218w of diy led. The LEDs will be mounted to 6 PCBs holding 12 LEDs each. The only control I really want is to have sunrise and sunset functions so that shouldn't be to hard with an arduino but given my lack of skill that may be harder than I am anticipating.

The sump is a racetrack style with a frag section at the front which I plan on putting to good use and a fuge section at the back. I'm planning on running filter socks and a jebao 6000lph dc pump for the return and to provide flow to a reactor.

Display Tank had a single piece eurobrace and external herbie style overflow and locline return. Flow will be provided by either a jebao cp-25 or 2 rw-4s. Hopefully that is enough for sps.

The tank came with a tunze ATO but I can't seem to get it to work. It wouldn't turn on so I opened it up and there is a blue capacitor or something that gets really hot :banghead

Stay tuned for more updates as they happen. This will probably be a slow and painful build. Probably longer than it seems coz I'm pretty excited to be setting up another tank.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
Cheers. I might change the plumbing a bit so it better suits the filter socks and tee off the return with a ball valve for a reactor.

That horrible yellow paint needs to be covered up. Would a water based enamel paint be suitable?

I'm thinking about enclosing that shelf for the electronics as well.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Cheers. I might change the plumbing a bit so it better suits the filter socks and tee off the return with a ball valve for a reactor.

That horrible yellow paint needs to be covered up. Would a water based enamel paint be suitable?

I'm thinking about enclosing that shelf for the electronics as well.
Do it, I'm not a painter but I think it will be fine.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
IMAG0243_zps5a729b1b.jpg
for anyone interested, this was my last tank. I lost everything when I moved due to the hammer getting broken and killing everything. I attempted to set up another tank but being in canberra kind of made it a bit hard so I just gave up on it and sold everything.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
View attachment 56036 for anyone interested, this was my last tank. I lost everything when I moved due to the hammer getting broken and killing everything. I attempted to set up another tank but being in canberra kind of made it a bit hard so I just gave up on it and sold everything.
Looked like a really nice tank. Will be amazing to see you set up your new one :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Great disclaimer there. Just wondering if an oil based paint would be more durable or if the humidity in the stand would affect the paint.
From memory I did one of my stands in acrylic - which is water based. It is still going strong after 8 years I think you will be just fine.The tank is enjoying its life as a freshwater rig these days.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
Mr post man just dropped these off. there will be 6 of them over the tank. Each with 3 royal blue 3 6500k white 2 12000k white 2 460-470nm blue one 410-420 violet and 1 520-530nm green. Hopefully I get a fairly good spread of colours and it gives the tank a nice colour. The boards will be mounted to heatsinks and held above the tank in an alloy frame.

In typical aus post style, it took less than 2 days for the LEDs to get to Australia from the UK but now there are no updates on the aus post website and it's been 4 days since they arrived in australia.
20170201_095727.jpg

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
Attempted to do some coding for my lights. While it should be simple as they are all on one channel, when it comes to programming I'm about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. I kinda achieved what I wanted but when the lights ramp up and down they aren't very smooth. The closest I got to light control was push a button and the lights get brighter over a set time and then press the button again and they dim.