Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
The Build Continues...
Installing the Sump and Return:

By now, I was getting a tad excited. The sump is mounted first which makes a lot of sense. It looks like a smart design, the only concern I have is that as it drains into the first chamber, then overflows into the socks, that debris is going to collect in there instead of the socks. That said, it's going to take all of 2 secs to clean it out every so often so again that’s me picking before I even see it in action.

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

The skimmer section is larger than I expected and for those wanting to know, is 32x42x26cm which is plenty of space for most skimmers I am aware of, as well as an internal reactor. Just be aware that the filter socks slide out for maintenance so you lose a 23x12cm square in the front right of the skimmer section.

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

After this it has a simple twin baffle for bubbles and comes fitted with a course sponge as well. I am only planning on running a cryptic section of live rock near the skimmer, but time will tell if/how fast the sponge will block, but it is designed so that it can overflow the last baffle if required.

IMG_0592.JPG

The return section is 14x42x23cm in size, with a small ATO float in the back corner. It works by blocking the feed line from the reservoir and at first glance I thought it looked a little low, but apparently it can be adjusted according to the manual (not that it tells you how…).

IMG_0591.JPG

Getting the sump in the cabinet was easy, however a bit fiddly as there is no spare space. It literally fills the bottom of the cabinet from the back to the front, flush with the middle wall. There is maybe 2cm clearance from the hinges side but that is all.

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

This brings me to one other problem my brother-in-law ran into as he uses a large hang on skimmer on his old tank. There is no space for any external or hang on devices. You could use the right section, but you would need to either modify the internal wall, or plumb out the back and around. This might limit the use of or number of reactors you can use so it is worth noting.

Once the sump is in, the plumbing for the return is put in. I was told in the store that the tank didn’t come with a flexible pipe for the your return pump, but mine did (my brother-in-law's 450 didn’t) so be prepared to get one.

IMG_0581.JPG

The three stand pipes are all slightly different and can be installed the wrong order so make sure you have the picture facing the right way :) Each one is screwed into the bulkheads and has a toothed fitting to ensure a good lock, but which just made me nervous about how hard to tighten them. Each one extends about 4 inches into the sump section of the cabinet and looks like it will make for easy maintenance.

IMG_0596.JPG

Each pipe has a different connection for the sump section, two go into the first sump chamber and the first one is for the return pipe.

IMG_0612.JPG

Up top, there is a second wider pipe to attach to the main over flow that makes the overflow drain from the bottom. The return pipe has an adjustable outlet that screws on and clips into the overflow. The middle and tallest pipe I assume is an emergency overflow.

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

There is a hard lid that can be used on top to enclose the overflow, a good idea and very neat fit. It has a removable section in the back of it for light mounts in the center of the tank, however reckon I would struggle to fit my RMS mount in there. If anyone wants to know let me know and I will check.

IMG_0620.JPG

Now to install all the fun stuff :)

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Equipment and Cable Management:

Anyone who has read my last tank journal knows I spent a bit of time on making sure everything had its place and that cables were nice and tidy. It was hard with a tank full of water and no space behind the cabinet but this time I have learnt a few tricks.

The cabinet is not in its final place yet and I have space to work behind for the moment. I will also make sure the tank is as far out from the wall as practical to allow for future maintenance. I have also decided to only use two power boards for the moment, one is part of the Reef Angel controller and has 8 ports, the other is a 4 port with wireless on and off.

Before I did anything, I listed all my equipment out, plus any future requirements, then divided them into either controlled or always on. In the end I decided to run the cabinet LED's, Reef Link and Radions on the 'always on' 4 port power board which will be tucked in behind the cabinet. I can remotely turn these on and off which is about all I need to be able to do 99% of the time.

The rest I determined need better access and in some cases to be controlled either on timers or by alarms. I then measured out the internal cabinet walls and mapped them out on some left over cardboard so I had a test bench to play with. I then physically spaced out all the controllers and cables and chose a layout that allowed for a future doser and Vortech battery backup to fit in.

IMG_0603.JPG

I am a huge fan of the ducted cable management. It is easy to mount, can be removed later if needed and can be cut to any length. 2m is only about $12 at Bunnings and it really makes the area look neat and tidy. I admit, it can be a pain to take a specific cable back out in the event you need to replace/work on something, but in those cases I try to give them their own length so they aren't buried in other cables.

IMG_0614.JPG

When I was happy with it, I took a photo for reference and out came the bluetack again. This let me double check my spacing and measurements without too much hassle.

IMG_0615.JPG

I use a strong version of Velcro to mount all the devices, and once word of caution is to not use large pieces unless really required as I damaged my ATO trying to pry it off the side of my RSM. Use a lot of smaller pieces spread out to get the same affect. Once all the controllers are mounted I then worry about the loose leads such as the heaters, pump and skimmer.

IMG_0616.JPG

I also placed the return pump and skimmer in their chambers to make sure the leads all reach, however their cables will just loop out the back as they need to be removed easily. I did hit a slight snag here. The only way out is via the small hole behind the three downpipes and in the 350 at least, the gaps between them aren't large enough for a full plug to fit without removing one of the connections. Not a deal breaker, just something to consider and remember.

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

I also forgot my own comment above, and by mounting my Reef Keeper in the front so I can read it, my pH probe can't reach the sump…. So I need to locate a BNC extension before I can get it up and running. I am not too worried as I would like to replace the Reef Angle at some point and go GHL but that might be tax/bonus time next year before I do that.

I have decided to mount the ReefLink on the rear of the cabinet not inside. First, it declutters the cabinet, and second I can easily detach it and connect it to a USB lead. I will most likely run a LAN cable to it instead of relying on WiFi alone but then it is another cable I have to deal with.

IMG_0632.JPG

I am not 100% sure what to do with the Radion power packs. The cables are easy and will be held neatly with sticky cable clips so that they can be disconnected and removed if required, however the heat from the power packs means they will peel free if I use Velcro. For the short term I will rest them on a raised block of wood so that in the event of a spill they will not get wet. That might just have to do for them

As the reservoir only holds about 2-3 days worth based on peoples experience, I will use the Osmolator to keep the reservoir topped up for the moment. I have added a float from the Reef Keeper to the reservoir in case of it getting stuck on (happens a lot unfortunately, I think I really damaged it when it got wet on the RSM). Later, I may use the reservoir for something else like Kalk until I get my doser and plump the ATO straight into the sump. I can store a 25L drum in the cabinet easily, but may go back to a 15L so my Wife can easily move and fill it. Should get a week out of the reservoir and drum.

IMG_0631.JPG

Now that the cabling is nearly all done, I am really glad I spent the time making this neat up front. It's nothing on some of the custom setups out there but it makes me happy inside :)

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I mounted my radion power packs with a short stout timber screw with a flat wide head from bunnings on the opposite inside side of the cabinet to where you have your controllers, you could do that, or on the back of the door, they take up a ton of room though my ATO bucket is outside of the whole cabinet.

I don't lose a ton of room like you do, another option could be to screw them to the underside of the cabinet, just make sure the screw is small enough that it doesn't go through and hit your glass bottom :banghead.

I still need to fit a really small chiller for summer though some how, that is going to be a squeeze o_0

Last edited:

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Thanks for the comments guys.

I mounted my radion power packs with a short stout timber screw with a flat wide head from bunnings on the opposite inside side of the cabinet to where you have your controllers, you could do that, or on the back of the door, they take up a ton of room though my ATO bucket is outside of the whole cabinet.

I don't lose a ton of room like you do, another option could be to screw them to the underside of the cabinet, just make sure the screw is small enough that it doesn't go through and hit your glass bottom :banghead.

I still need to fit a really small chiller for summer though some how, that is going to be a squeeze o_0
I think from memory you have the XR30's? The power packs I have are about the size of a laptop one, but get damn hot so Velcro just isn't going to cut it. I just hate the thought of putting holes in such a nice cabinet :cry

I have a small chiller but after running it on the last tank the noise was ridiculous. I have a large hp AC in the same room as the tank that runs during summer, but if I need too I will look at a fan bar for the Sump before I fire that monster back up again, so hopefully don't need any more cabinet space. I expect at some point to add a doser, reactor (calc etc), and possibly upgrade to Apex/GHL controller so I would prefer to have room for that.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Had the same trouble with the RMS Mount, I am just going to make up a new black acrylic lid since I don't want to cut that pretty one. I did notice though that the mount is also a snug fit with the main drain.

Totally hearing you about not wanting to screw into the cabinet, hints why I went with the self design, draw is coming soon for electrics. Just got the switches, wire and power board which I am going to canalbilize to make a nice neat power board to fit in the draw allowing switching from the front of the closed draw through a cut out and plugging in and cables to be hidden inside the draw.

Have you noticed the socks are a irregular size? Typical Red Sea.

Keep up the good work mate!

PS. No crap in my first sump compartment, it does have 12000L/H flowing through it though.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
you could get another board skew it to that then velcro the board to the cabinet, meaning that the pack is connected by skew to a board but then not velcrowed

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
That sounds insane! Can't wait to see the pic's as the closest I came to something like that was considering putting a small set of draws in the cabinet but couldn't make it work.

Yeah the socks are a real pain but FYI have a look at this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2506176

Apparently they fit perfectly and can be found here in Aus at TheTechDen I am going to order a set this week to trial.

Build for the draw starts this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Looking for those socks everywhere but they are all sold out! Even the USA are sold out.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
yeah fair enough too.

yes, the 30's are enormous.

I figure you'll never see inside/the holes so it doesn't matter and I will always keep the tank when I upGrade.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
I figure you'll never see inside/the holes so it doesn't matter and I will always keep the tank when I upGrade.
Did you have to pre-drill? That was my other concern, that it might split or bulge when I screw into it.

How quickly do you guys find the socks fill up? Will I be looking at 2-3 sets and any suppliers recommended? I was thinking of shooting TheTechDen an email and seeing if they can order a dozen of the Vertex ones in if they fit, see what price they could do a bulk lot for.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Nope didn't pre drill, didn't bulge, didn't poke through, didn't split, I will take a picture of the screw type tomorrow and upload it, its freezing in Radelaide right now, so not going out to the shed for no man, women or the two dogs :dead

My socks have not gotten that dirty.... I've given them a bath in tank water from a water change once and nothing came off... Mind you I am doing something naughty, I took the ATO off and am using a 60L bucket in the corner for my top off / water changes and I stuck a Poly-FIlter over the cup mouths and that gets really dirty :rolleyes

I figure if I have to spend money either way on changing something over it may as well keep my water polished at the same time, strip out any nasties and do whatever other wonderful things those Poly-Filters do.

I might switch the poly filter around and put it behind the skimmer over the cascade next time and see how that goes, just cut it and fit it ontop of the black porous sponge.

My skimmer isn't picking up a heap of load either, but I think as the tank gets stocked a bit more then you'll see everything work hand in hand.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
OK, what is the issue with the socks? Is the sock retaining ring too big or too small? If you could, get me a measurement and I can contact a supplier I use on aliexpress for the ones I use and see what they have to offer. I get the 4" ones from them for $1.27 each delivered to the USA.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
OK, what is the issue with the socks? Is the sock retaining ring too big or too small? If you could, get me a measurement and I can contact a supplier I use on aliexpress for the ones I use and see what they have to offer. I get the 4" ones from them for $1.27 each delivered to the USA.
The problem is they are 250 micron fiber and about the cheapest I can find them over here is over $20 a sock! It seems most people find compared to the mesh style socks that they block up in 3-4 days max and because of the cleaning required to get the cloth clean you would need 2-3 sets to rotate through. That's over $120 just in filter socks....

Apparently they are a weird size with a plastic throat that makes it incompatible with other brands, but if you have a source that sells ones that fit that would be amazing. I here the Vertex ones fit but I can't find stock in AU.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Measure the hole they fit into in the sump mate. I can forward that to my contact and see what they can find. She does a lot better than I do because she's right there where they're made.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Measure the hole they fit into in the sump mate. I can forward that to my contact and see what they can find. She does a lot better than I do because she's right there where they're made.
The hole they fit into is 88mm diameter. Or 3.46456693inches.

As you can see in the pic I measured the internal hole they slide into, just to clarify.

Attachments

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Thanks @Tannum_Paul I have been sick and haven't been online to chase that up. For the moment, I have just cut some filter wool to cover the socks as my Brother-in-Law clogged his as soon as he put his sand and rock in o_0

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Thanks @Tannum_Paul I have been sick and haven't been online to chase that up. For the moment, I have just cut some filter wool to cover the socks as my Brother-in-Law clogged his as soon as he put his sand and rock in o_0
I must admit unless I am cleaning the tank or do a messy thing in the tank I leave them out. My skimmer makes short work of floaters in the water colum, plus they are easy to wash in the washing machine just turn them inside out first since they wash 20 times better. I think I'm on wash 8 or so now and they are still like new.