Tank Journal Archive

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
The Build
Unlike so many of you I live in Central Queensland which means that any type of special custom build is very very expensive and or not possible.

Previously I have built a cabinet and hood which I think wasnt a bad attempt but left much in my opinon. It was just a standard 4' x 18" tank on a timber cabinet with a 2' x 18" sump I built.

In saying that it was more then enough to get me started and in love with this hobby! Just to see the livestock we keep so up close feeding and growing is amazing, you see things that you wouldnt ever see otherwise. Trust me I know, I dive the reef which is 15km away all the time!!!!

So enough about the past, this time I decided that I wanted a pretty system! I wanted a beautiful rimless tank, 2pac finished cabinet, top of the line gear and plumbing that was well planned and executed!

I looked around, spoke to the LFS manager who I am good friends with trying to work out how I can get what I want in this area for a reasonable price. In the end I fell in love with the Reefer look and thought for now that is the best I can do!

So I ordered it and paid for it waiting for 2 months while it bobed its way over from China in the hull of a ship. (Hope Kate and Leo were not on that ship on my crate).

Finally it arrived here and was delivered to my house with me jumping around like a fat kid in a cup cake factory! Then I saw the 5 large boxes and thought what have I gotten myself into? This is HUGE!

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

So after opening up all the boxes like a high school boy taking a girls clothes off for the first time, I saw screws, pipes, sumps, a huge flat pack that weighed more then a dead elephant and most of all a BEAUTIFUL rimless tank!

After reading the HORRIBLE instructions I tossed them in the bin and winged it like any good self respecting man would do! Dont worry ladies I did cock up once with the small screws to hold on the door hinges and latches but other then that I handled it like Heman handling his sword!

With it all put together I got the tank on the stand and the pipework put together with water and tempary lights on it.

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
i have fallen in love with your tank, give it to me, where did you buy it from?
Lol, you can buy one! It is just a Red Sea Reefer 450 in white. I believe they are by order only still but ask your LFS they should be able to get one.

I actually think the new lights etc make it look better now, will see those pics tomorrow.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Lol, you can buy one! It is just a Red Sea Reefer 450 in white. I believe they are by order only still but ask your LFS they should be able to get one.

I actually think the new lights etc make it look better now, will see those pics tomorrow.
tanks, was more of a joke as i have my tank already now but yours is just amazing

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I read your whole journal the other night, was what made me think I should make one. Don't think I can compete with yours though.
Must be confusing me with someone else haha. I like my softie tank but it's not up to the high standard of many other systems on here.

The Red Sea Reefer tanks do look very nice. I'm contemplating setting up a smallish one as a sps only tank but it may be the straw that breaks the wife's back lol.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Unlike so many of you I live in Central Queensland which means that any type of special custom build is very very expensive and or not possible.

After reading the HORRIBLE instructions I tossed them in the bin and winged it like any good self respecting man would do! Dont worry ladies I did cock up once with the small screws to hold on the door hinges and latches but other then that I handled it like Heman handling his sword!
I assume you meant to say you left that door off as it would be a good spot for a chiller ;)
lol
looks great , congratulations

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Unlike @DeWalt that is but a distant memory for me :rofl
Speak for yourself mate. I'm 53 and I still remember trying to undo that damn bra like it was yesterday. How the hell women got in and out of those damn things was one of the great mysteries of the universe to me as a youngin. Now I can have her out of that bra 1 handed, I guess practice really does make perfect, lol.

Paul, that tank is AMAZING!! I've been looking at them since they came out and they're great systems. we've had 3 Red Sea 130D tanks since we got back into salt water on a hobbyist level.