Tank Journal Archive

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
The Cabinet Arrives
So on 28/08/15 our cabinet arrived ( thanks to our local LFS owner going out of his way to get it delivered), at this time it is being stored in the garage for painting. The cabinet is the new modern design. We had it arrive without doors fitted and the two side panels not connected, this was so Nic can do high gloss coat finish for the doors and panels. I was very impressed with the quality of the cabinet. The builder put in a nice wall to separate wet from dry area, as well as providing added strength to the frame.

IMG_2862.JPG

The frame of the cabinet will be done in a 3 coats of a 4 in one bathroom grade wet area paint. After the first coat I went around all the edges and gaps, filled with high grade white silicon. Second coat was put on tonight.
IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

Nic had done hours upon hours of research into how she wanted to paint the panels and doors, to get a high gloss white finish.

At this time she has started with sealing the edges of doors with spakfiller and then sanding back so any minor holes are filled and smooth.

The paint process is a 5 layer process with sanding in between each coat, progressing to a finer grit each time.

Coat one of the 4 in one bathroom paint has been put on. She's awaiting drying till sanding.

From there she will paint the next for layers with a High gloss white enamel, with a 10% mix of penetrol.

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG

Sump design came back today to us ( Again our LFS owner goes above and beyond), including ATO, sulphur reactor and phosphate reactor.

Further updates to come.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Wow what a job that is. What size is your new build, looks large ? Love the white finish. Really nice when you get a LFS that goes out of his way, you should name it and let everyone know ?
Good luck and following with interest

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
The cabinet is 8 foot by 2.5 foot and 700mm high.

The LFS is deer park aquarium and as always Dave the man.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Doesn't surprise me either. Dave seems to have a great reputation even here in SA. Nice size tank by the way. Really nice !!!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Love the stand mate! Looks tops :)

Have to say I do go on about Deer Park a bit haha I think Dave is one of the best in the hobby in Vic definitely and probably even the country :) I pretty much soley shop at Dave's lol I'm a little bias as he's done a lot of things for me and has really helped along the way!
The man is full of crazy ideas and suggestions, I can't spend less than an hour there. NO matter why I'm there it's always at least an hour haha

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
I
Doesn't surprise me either. Dave seems to have a great reputation even here in SA. Nice size tank by the way. Really nice !!!
Yeah he really does seem to Lesley.

Took a bit to work out what width we wanted. So happy I went the extra width.... And now going 2 foot high instead of 20 inch high

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
:):)
Yeah he is amazing with his designs, he has some great plans for mine, which I look forward to showing everyone.

I'm only like 6 streets away from the shop, so usually they always joke I should have a bed there.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
how i wish i could drive myself their (or walk) and spend more than 20 minutes their without my parents or brother complaining that we have to go :/, only ever been there once

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Y
how i wish i could drive myself their (or walk) and spend more than 20 minutes their without my parents or brother complaining that we have to go :/, only ever been there once
Yeah I have to.say I'm lucky being that close.

Even more lucky nic spends more cash there then me and really enjoys the hobby.

She does all the research and hard work for us on tank