Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The Crazy Reefer Is Back- Just Make Sure You Never Think That This Was Your Idea.
After a great weekend away up the coast I thought it's time to change CO2 bottle over.
Wow!!! Certainly got some pressure from the new bottle.
Forget anything you thought about set and forget, this is on a brand new level of re calibration. Ok current Kh 7.00 to 7.50

Fiddled around and got the bubble count to a good spot where I think it will work.

Let's move on to the nitrate/ phosphate challenge. Ok last time I tested I got 0 nitrate and 0.05 phos .
This was two weeks ago .
After some seriously heavy feedings from acro power / reef roids and I mean heavy feeding like 250ml over two weeks I got this
IMG_0789.JPG
To fix this I have added Nitrate to the tank . 10 ml of Nitrate solution. The tank water should read about 50ppm.
No bacteria , no sock, no carbon change in two months , nothing..... who is keen to see what the phosphate reads tomorrow this time??????
Bear in mind this is a phosphate challenge by adding nitrate! I bet the addition of nitrate brings the phosphate down , well hopefully that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
So your tank being nitrogen limited your phospate rose, I think by adding 50ppm of nitrate you'll end up with 7ppm nitrate and 0.05 phos same time tomorrow. Maybe.. haha

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
So your tank being nitrogen limited your phospate rose, I think by adding 50ppm of nitrate you'll end up with 7ppm nitrate and 0.05 phos same time tomorrow. Maybe.. haha
Close - good call mate. I say 5ppm Nitrate and 0.06 Phos according to my test kits today at 17:30
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG

@Mattres - bear in mind I chucked a heap of roids and power in the night before. Good results I think - show must go on.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Close - good call mate. I say 5ppm Nitrate and 0.06 Phos according to my test kits today at 17:30
View attachment 56009 View attachment 56010
@Mattres - bear in mind I chucked a heap of roids and power in the night before. Good results I think - show must go on.
Haha Nice!
How do you find your corals react after elevating the nitrate?
Similar to you I have been feeding a lot over the summer to raise my nitrates a little, we're talking aminos, flake, pellet and frozen everyday in 70litres... overshot it by a long way though! Lesson learnt. Test more.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Haha Nice!
How do you find your corals react after elevating the nitrate?
Similar to you I have been feeding a lot over the summer to raise my nitrates a little, we're talking aminos, flake, pellet and frozen everyday in 70litres... overshot it by a long way though! Lesson learnt. Test more.
Its a tough call, perhaps my sps have settled in and are taking off. I have backed off all dosings and moving towards feedings in the last couple of months.
I think high nutrient export is the way to go - I'm going to need more SPS to outcompete the current algea that grows on the glass.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Its a tough call, perhaps my sps have settled in and are taking off. I have backed off all dosings and moving towards feedings in the last couple of months.
I think high nutrient export is the way to go - I'm going to need more SPS to outcompete the current algea that grows on the glass.
More SPS is never a bad thing :D

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Great read mate :) I love seeing what the tank of this crazy reefer does! lol

Sounds like you might need to keep an eye on those parameters a little closer haha although I can't talk, I spike my NO3 to 60ppm and phos to 0.12ppm by redoing the scape, adding new un-cured rock and stirring all the shit up lol. Not sure I'm brave enough to re-test :P

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Great read mate :) I love seeing what the tank of this crazy reefer does! lol

Sounds like you might need to keep an eye on those parameters a little closer haha although I can't talk, I spike my NO3 to 60ppm and phos to 0.12ppm by redoing the scape, adding new un-cured rock and stirring all the shit up lol. Not sure I'm brave enough to re-test :p
We do it for the thrills - that's why I post this stuff, good or bad , you won't see me drop off the Reefuge radar.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
@Wrangy - Since you may or may not have some special Loreto I kinda wanted to let you in on my secret too.
I got my hands on some
Pseudomugil Luminatus, hope to breed them as I have always been a fan of rare fish and always have had a soft spot for some blue eyes.;)