Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The Curse Of Renting
Just as my tank becomes stable and I plan its next steps (1 get some decent lighting over it (Kessils is my thinking), 2) start to place SPS in the relevant spots and 3) allow to grow out), comes uncertainty.

We took our current place primarily because it allowed us to have a dog (amazing how few places allow dogs), but after tragically losing our dog recently and not planning to get another in the short term, we have decided to move again - which will be July.

I've only ever moved nano tanks and know how much of a pain in the arse that is, so now I have something a bit bigger (granted still not huge!) I am debating whether to go the SPS route just yet, or wait until we are moved and just let the tank do its thing for a while.

Anyone that has moved an SPS tank - how did the move go?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Thats's awful about your doggie Peter :(

I think the less to move the less stressful it is. I've never moved with SPS before though. I'm also happy to lend a hand with the move. I've got plenty of spare 20L containers now I've gone to an IBC system. I'd be happy to host anything you need put into a stable system in the moving process.

@Wrangy might be able to chip in once he puts his system back together - it's a move of sorts.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hi. Moving is horrid. We only had 5 sps rest are lps. We lost 1 sps, other. 4 turned very brown but are starting to show colour again. We bleached. 3 Lps & still have no idea why. They too are making a recovery. I wouldn't buy anything else until after the move just to make it easier on yourself & less stress for everyone/everything Concerned.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Horrid is a good description Lesley. Moving sucks but I have learn't a lot from a few disaster's due to moving a few times.
July is good that's plenty of time to prepare.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks everyone for the advice, sympathy and offer of assistance!

I honestly don't think I can wait for 6 months without adding anything, but will resist going all out or choosing anything I think would be tough to move.

One positive is that all of my rocks are quite portable and should be easy enough to put in tubs, even with corals attached.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If you can transfer your stock to someone elses house and go get them once the dust has settled that the most ideal scenario. Or set up a holding tank ahead of time at the new place. I think temperature is the most important thing to keep consistent when moving a tank. It can be logistically challenging to heat the water to the temp it needs to be if you don't have much time to complete the move. If I could do it again I would just boil the kettle and mix the freshwater to temp, then add salt.

I lost a big soft coral and my clownfish in a house move because I was so tired I forgot to turn the heater on, then I realised and cranked it up as high as it would go, then forgot about it and went to bed, then freaked out and turned it off, then forgot about it :dead

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I'll be moving glow sticks next week on 7 feb. I'll be setting up serenity from 20 feb onward and transfer early march. My advice get tank grown frags preferably from colonies that have passed through the hands of reefers.
I could trace the origin of my frags through the hands of a couple of reefers.
So far haven't lost a frag , bought 48 two months ago...
Fresh tank set up then. And all system dialled in with regard to dosing ( via calc reactor )

Don't anticipate any dramas in my move however going to use as much tank water as possible when making the move and transfer.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It's definitely doable and things do survive in a tub if you have to use that option! My tank seems to be doing well :) Lots a couple of acro's but not my favourites (touch wood) and the fish, clams and all other corals are going along nicely :) It'll be good to get everyone back into a tank but as long as you're careful and quick it's not too difficult.
As a few others have said, sing out if you need a hand on the day. I'm happy to come help too :)