Reef Discussion

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
The Dreaded Bryopsis
So after several weeks of scrubbing live rock and then introducing a clean up crew to combat my GHA problem to no avail, I seen a post on FB mentioning bryopsis so i done a bit of googleing on the interwebs machine and WHADDAYAKNOW... its bryopsis.

I done a bit more research and came across a few threads about raising mag to around 1500ppm which it apparently doesn't like. I was a bit concerned about what affect this would have on the tank but apparently the only issue would be that snails would become a bit lethargic and more prone to predators. Seeing as I don't have anything in the tank that would see the snails as a source of food, I set to work raising my mag only to find after I had already raised it that this seemed to only work with the old Kent mag supplement.

I've heard that fluconazole can be used successfully to rid the tank of bryopsis however, it is. Prescription drug so I doubt I could walk into the pharmacy and get a pack but I'll give it a go anyway.

Does anyone have any other ideas to get rid of this crap? Apart from tearing down the tank and starting again, I'll try just about anything.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
You can get a prescription from the Vets as well :) Or if you're really close with your doctor, get them to write you a script. Don't bother with anything else, it doesn't work lol

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
You can go all the way up to 1850ppm with your mag without any trouble. Not sure it will help though.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi Jake.
How old is your tank?
Almost everyone has this problem within the first year of setting up a new tank.
Don't believe in the lights out theory. I ran a test last year that I was going to document but never did. I had lights out for 3 to 4 weeks with near no effect on GHA.
I believe that the best thing is good lighting, low phosphates -.08 and low nitrates.
A good group of snails can help.
Ohhhh...one more thing ,something we all lack when it comes to GHA is patients.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
You can get a prescription from the Vets as well :) Or if you're really close with your doctor, get them to write you a script. Don't bother with anything else, it doesn't work lol
I could send my wife to the GP :p

I'll try the vet. Will the pharmacy still sell it with a vet prescription? No doubt the vet would charge an arm and a leg for it.

Hi Jake.
How old is your tank?
Almost everyone has this problem within the first year of setting up a new tank.
Don't believe in the lights out theory. I ran a test last year that I was going to document but never did. I had lights out for 3 to 4 weeks with near no effect on GHA.
I believe that the best thing is good lighting, low phosphates -.08 and low nitrates.
A good group of snails can help.
Ohhhh...one more thing ,something we all lack when it comes to GHA is patients.
The tank is about 3-4 months old but Unfortunately it isn't GHA. That would be so much easier to deal with. There isn't much that eats bryopsis. My lawnmower bleeny pulls it out and helps it spread but that's about the only thing thay touches it.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I could send my wife to the GP :p

I'll try the vet. Will the pharmacy still sell it with a vet prescription? No doubt the vet would charge an arm and a leg for it.
If you get it from the vet you'll get the pills from them too :) You just need to take in some evidence for why you need it though, like the reef2reef thread on the topic. Much cheaper and easier if you get your wife to get a prescription though lol

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
At the risk of hijacking this thread.
Which isn't my intention.
What happened to a the claims that Vibrant was the cure for all problem algae like Bryopsis?
Was it not the miracle cure? How did you go with the Bubble Algae? Wrangy?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
At the risk of hijacking this thread.
Which isn't my intention.
What happened to a the claims that Vibrant was the cure for all problem algae like Bryopsis?
Was it not the miracle cure? How did you go with the Bubble Algae? Wrangy?
Vibrant works like most other treatments on bryopsis lol you're either lucky or you're not like the rest haha. It appears that it doesn't work in every case but it loves to kill bubble algae :D lol