Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The Ending Of An Era
Well, there's news to be had on the reefing front for me :) The family home has been sold and our landlord has approved me having a fish tank! :D So this means all battle-stations are ready and the Thunderbirds are go! The new tank is planned and getting ready to be delivered, so hopefully over the coming week it gets wet!

Last weekend, Saturday, brought on the purchasing of all the new rock I'm going to need, while I don't plan on necessarily using the full 20kg I bought, I will at least have the pieces there if I need them :) They got blasted off under some high pressure from the hose and then straight into a tub with RO to soak! They've had a 100% on Thursday and I'll be doing another tomorrow. This is just to get a short period of pre-leaching out of the way before it actually goes into a tank :) There was a fair bit of crud coming off in the washes lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_image_20160514_104750_zps8v82yneq.jpg

Nearly all of it is Real Reef Rock but there were two nice flatish pieces of CaribSea so I grabbed those two as well :)
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_download_20160517_121844_zpslzkq9wkt.jpg

I then spent Tuesday morning cleaning out and organising the study ready for the tank! I spend most my life there as it's my work station and gaming station lol so the tank is going to be in the perfect place! And for some reason my phone camera has made it look like I live in a Dr. Seuss house haha the wall is actually straight I promise!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_20160517_115921_zpsaamcvtrk.jpg

I also managed to get a few more things sorted on Thursday night too with a trip to Deer Park to pick up a few items;
- New bucket of RS salt from the lovely Sam after I rang 6 stores looking for it lol
- Continuum CaptivPhos to treat the rock once it's in the tank, it also contains Al2O3 to also absorb the silicates that will leach from the rock. This is going to be run for a month to ensure that all the phos and silicates are completely removed from the rock and the tank! Noice and clean ;) lol
- Due to the rock also being completely dead, I've picked up a bottle of Dr. Tim's bacteria to seed the tank with a decent source of bacteria :) I got a bottle large enough to "instant cycle" the tank lol but that's not what's going to happen! Once that's in I'll be adding a prawn for an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on and watch the levels from there and once things settle then the first fish will be going across :) Along with adding this bacteria, I'll also be adding soem media from a mates tank to add to the diversity and seed it with some more bacteria because that won't hurt!
- The tank spot is clean and vacuumed and I have commandeered a shelf in one of the cupboards so I'm ready to get rocking lol

I still need to pick up some plumbing, a few bits and bobs and sort out a sump but everything else will simply be coming across :) The skimmer, lights, return, heaters and whatever will come across after a good soak in vinegar and some hydrogen peroxide to sterilize anything, well maybe not the lights :P

As I have nothing to show at the moment please enjoy a picture of towels and the supplements lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_20160520_161419_zpsoyeuwhoz.jpg

I'm still undecided on my sump layout but I'll see if Sump Master Dave has any ideas on that lol I'm also going to get myself a Gyre XF150 for the right side of the tank that will be supplemented with a few other powerheads :) For the moment that's all I can think of, I'm getting excited for a bigger tank and a new adventure in reefing! :D

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Exciting times, keep us updated man :)

P.S. I am lovely, aren't I?!
Very exciting indeed :)

The loveliest! :rofl

Is this the Cade that's being moved ?
Cade will be finding a new home, this tank is an upgrade from the cade :) I was going to move the cade but this opportunity was amazing so I jumped on it!

Isn't it cute, both our tanks are going to be the same age :p
haha that is very true!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Exciting times mate!
U mention gaming station, what do u play?
Indeed :D
PC gamer here and I play everything! Fallout 4 at the minute as I only allow one game during the semester and the occasional BF4 round or six :P but that doesn't count! I'll be getting Doom and No Man's Sky after exams though! And hopefully downloading a few that are uninstaller in my steam library :P
My pc is a mini ITX system with water cooling and overclocking lol I'm a bit of a pc nerd too, all built myself!
IMG_20160406_193811.jpg
IMG_20160406_182902.jpg

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Indeed :D
PC gamer here and I play everything! Fallout 4 at the minute as I only allow one game during the semester and the occasional BF4 round or six :p but that doesn't count! I'll be getting Doom and No Man's Sky after exams though! And hopefully downloading a few that are uninstaller in my steam library :p
My pc is a mini ITX system with water cooling and overclocking lol I'm a bit of a pc nerd too, all built myself!
View attachment 54128 View attachment 54129
Wow nice!
My brothers a big PC gamer, I mainly stick to my PS4. My PC is getting on a bit in its old age and looking on steam becomes a bit painful lol
Currently playing MGSV and the Witcher, both such long games erghh!
Ive had my eyes set on No Mans Sky, looks pretty epic!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I want to know how big is the new rig :rolleyes
All in good time my dear ;) no reveals until the tank is actually wet so there's no jinxing :P

*that* is sexy. I approve.

Do you get the feeling the landlord is like, "they want an aquarium? Piffle! Sure!"
View attachment 54130
I'm glad, the cabling needs a little work and I want to buy a white cable extension kit to go with the case :)

haha I just casually asked "is it alright if I have a fish tank" so he has no idea what size, shape or type it will be :rofl

Wow nice!
My brothers a big PC gamer, I mainly stick to my PS4. My PC is getting on a bit in its old age and looking on steam becomes a bit painful lol
Currently playing MGSV and the Witcher, both such long games erghh!
Ive had my eyes set on No Mans Sky, looks pretty epic!
Thanks, took me a while to build lol
haha that's the truth of it, my last rig died on me so this one was created :D lol
Never played the MGS games myself but LOVE the Witcher! I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games and the Bioshock's :)
It looks amazing and I am SOOO EXXCITED for it haha

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
All in good time my dear ;) no reveals until the tank is actually wet so there's no jinxing :p

I'm glad, the cabling needs a little work and I want to buy a white cable extension kit to go with the case :)

haha I just casually asked "is it alright if I have a fish tank" so he has no idea what size, shape or type it will be :rofl

Thanks, took me a while to build lol
haha that's the truth of it, my last rig died on me so this one was created :D lol
Never played the MGS games myself but LOVE the Witcher! I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games and the Bioshock's :)
It looks amazing and I am SOOO EXXCITED for it haha
Yea I love the elder scrolls games to, although the online TES has probably put back any new game for years.
Haven't played any of the Bioshocks but heard good things.
Haha your keen for it then.. lol
I'm worried a little for the amount of content in the game, that's funny to say though since it's kinda the "biggest" game ever made! Haha

E

ezza

Yea I love the elder scrolls games to, although the online TES has probably put back any new game for years.
I'm worried a little for the amount of content in the game, that's funny to say though since it's kinda the "biggest" game ever made! Haha
I bought Black and White back when it was "the most beautiful/biggest/most graphic intense" game on the market. It shows how long it's been since I bought games too :p I just don't have time these days, I built my PC in 2009 and it died last year. I don't think I would even know where to begin with PCs now. Everything is quite different. My laptop is as old and is stumbling along with occasional power cord changes. It struggles on a lot of webpages, I wouldn't want to try games on the poor thing.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Sadly that's true :( I wish they never made it haha I'm happy to keep playing Morrowind though, being my favourite game of all time! lol
They are amazing. Gameplay in the first one I hated lol but the story is amazing so I played it through and now that I'm used to them they're actually really good.
lol I'm mildly worried about that but the amount of excitement for being able to fly around and explore planets has that worry buried :p

I bought Black and White back when it was "the most beautiful/biggest/most graphic intense" game on the market. It shows how long it's been since I bought games too :p I just don't have time these days, I built my PC in 2009 and it died last year. I don't think I would even know where to begin with PCs now. Everything is quite different. My laptop is as old and is stumbling along with occasional power cord changes. It struggles on a lot of webpages, I wouldn't want to try games on the poor thing.
Awesome, my girlfriend LOVES Black and White! We've try a heap of times to find it and install it but haven't had any success yet :( lol

Exciting times Dom ,
Whats size tank are you getting ?
I think it's a secret :stop
haha it's a shallow tank, 18" tall and the stand is a metre in height which is amazing :) The rest of the details are a lucrative business till later this week ;)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Got it , should be blindingly good.
I thought you might get that lol I'm really excited to not only FINALLY have a tank again but also to have all the extra space that will come with it!

I'm going to sit down and have a think and plan of what I want in and from the sump then send that off to the master for review lol