Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Fifth Spawn (24/9/14)
OK, it's been a while but it's time to try again with these guys :)

Banggai-500.jpg

There could be one small complication - I will be away for a week from 4/10/14 and the fish will need to look after themselves during this time. He has traditionally eaten the eggs around day 13 when I will be away.

So, my plan is to strip him next Thursday night (2/10/14) - this will be at 8 days which is a bit earlier than I would have liked but there's not much I can do about it o_0

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
so jealous of anybody even being able to keep banggai, let alone them spawning :worship

Maybe one day, Ill just dream.. the only fish (I actually purchased 5) that died.. so have had a bad experience both $$ wise and the fact I killed them. Since learnt they can be fussy eaters and dont know if I can be that vigilent in feeding them...

Last edited:

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
You're very patient. Good luck.
whats the plan after the fry are removed?
How do you plan to feed them ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Rob, you need to try some captive bred Banggai's - mine were eating pellets when I first got them but, as I have been trying to breed them, they have been getting a diet of mixed seafood - squid, mussel, scollop, fish etc. Now they just spit out the pellets :banghead

@RobbieMVFC - the eggs don't hatch until around day 17 which is just about when I will be returning home. Hopefully, I will return to a tumbler full of Banggai fry, or it could also be a stinking mess of dead eggs :rolleyes They survive off their eggs sack until around day 25 so I will have enough time to get some brine shrimp hatched out.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@Rob - auto feeder. You have one - try it. :cool:

I need to get a male sometime soon to unless @MagicJ thinks he will have a male to sell at some stage

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Unfortunately, the male ate the eggs before I left for the holiday - so there was nothing to worry about whilst I was away :)

That was the earliest he had ever eaten them, but he had been getting harassed by the Yellow Tang for a few days beforehand so that might have had some effect on him.