Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The First Aquascape
Things have been moving slowly forward on this tank but with the speed that @Wrangy is moving on his, I thought I had better go a bit quicker :)

The water has been in for a month or so now; a thin layer of sand was added a few weeks ago; and I finally found some time to transfer over some rock on the weekend.

I knew that I wanted an open structure on the LHS, and so I spend a few hours gluing/pinning together some of my old Tonga rock. The RHS actually came together fairly quickly once I had selected my best pieces of rock - and removed numerous morphs that had been growing on them.

Excuse the heaters - they will be moved to the sump once I get a few things sorted out. I only have a temporary light over this tank at the moment - that is just one more thing I need to sort out :banghead

This is how it looks tonight ...

FTS-150616.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is that a hawkfish I see on the left side? :)
Yes, there are in fact two - one, which I have had for around 5 years, sitting on the pump on the left wall and another, more recent addition, sitting in the LHS rock structure. They generally stay in that structure and, as there has been no sign of aggression, I am hoping that they will form a pair.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looks like we're racing then? :p haha

Looks great Shane and I'm stoked to hear the hawks have settled so well with each other too! :D The copperband looks to be in top health too which is good :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Looks great mate that left hand bommie will look amazing stocked with coral!
It's funny, I really like the RHS but not keen on the LHS at all! Looks a bit too constructed ... but then covered in acros it might look cool.

Nice overall :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's funny, I really like the RHS but not keen on the LHS at all! Looks a bit too constructed ... but then covered in acros it might look cool.

TBH, when I first put together the LHS I was really happy with it - it took around 5 hours to finish it off because I tried to rush it the first time and it didn't hold together :banghead Does anyone know the best way to drill coral skeletons - I tried masonry drills and they didn't work very well.

The following weekend, I spent about 1/4 hour on the RHS, with some help from my wife, and thought it came together really well. I then started to re-think the LHS as it didn't look very natural :rolleyes

But, when covered in corals the structure won't really be seen, and so it stayed :).

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast

thats what i was thinking to acrows growing off all the thin bits would look nuts!