Off-Topic

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Had the day off work yesterday as we have literally run out of stuff to do, so decided to still drop the little man off at child care and head fishing.

Was awesome conditions here when I rocked up to the beach you could see fish actively feeding on the surface. Only ended up being small salmon trout but was still good fun. Finished up with my bag limit of trouties (20), what better way to spend a day off work.

asphotos_d.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_ash4_999479_10151621449001056_1329075638_n.jpg

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I love them I only eat them fresh though, just fillet, crumb them and fry them up. They dont freeze well at all which is probably why they get a bad wrap. I give quite a few fish to the lady that owns the agistment place my misses keeps her horses, she charges a little bit less those weeks ;). there were also 6 in there that I didn't bleed, they make awesome snapper baits

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Hows this for an ugly fish! It actually spiked me through a towel but I guess it didn't get me good enough.
View attachment 15133
Correct me if im wrong but its a red rock cod and AKA a poor mans lobster and they eat very well. :D
I think it might be an eastern scorpioncod, Scorpanea cardinalis.

They have poisonous dorsal spines, lucky you did not get hit by one of them ;)

Taste yum we have been catching lots of the WA variant lately, a bit like playing Russian roulette to fillet them I got hit pulling one off the hook :cry

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
I think it might be an eastern scorpioncod, Scorpanea cardinalis.

They have poisonous dorsal spines, lucky you did not get hit by one of them ;)

Taste yum we have been catching lots of the WA variant lately, a bit like playing Russian roulette to fillet them I got hit pulling one off the hook :cry
So how much does it hurt Pete getting stung by one?

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Largely depends on how and where they get you. The scorpion cod that got me flicked of the side of the boat and hit the fleshy bit on top of my knee. It bled out immediately that helps a lot, very uncomfortable all the same. Rate it at about a 5, I have been hit by most things many times lucky enough to avoid blue rings and stones :).

As my good luck would have it :p I was hit by a cobbler a few weeks back launching the boat. That one hit the side of my foot into the bone...... now that hurt like shit for hours. It took water hot enough to cause some blisters and half a bottle of bourbon to cure.

Rays are the worst, they tend to get you deep and often cause quite a wound with lots of bleeding and the spine often breaks off leaving it there to keep the poison going. I have been hit three times myself the last I was on a boat stranded by the tide till midnight with no hot water.... NOT FUN !

Pete

Mr B

Jun 23, 2013
I didn't want to rub in it to much :p

Nothing better then a freash slab of emperor after towing a broken down mate 10 hours home.. Now that's another storey:dead

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Harry and I headed out this morning in search of a pinkie or two but only got 5 squid. The guy next to me got 3 pinkies and a snodger tipping the scales at 6.1kg!!

Hopefully ill get a turn on one of those suckers!

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
That's it. Im getting my tinnie back to life tomorrow. Has not been used for 2 years. Rip the carby off tomorrow, clean her up, re-pack the wheel bearings and Im off. Hehehee. Going to South West Rocks over new years, should be able to get a nice catch there.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Lookin at the fishing report email from fishing fever and apart from lee rayner having a new fishing show on one HD kicking off on 19th of october.

Caught in western port.... no thats a muthafreakin squid!

gawaine2.jpg

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Somewhat fishing related, I'm currently building a new trailer for my old mans boat. It's 3 years old these photos were taken last year so it's worse since then. Boats probably used once or twice a week and washed down religiously, the company who built it has washed their hands of it after a few complaints and photos sent through pretty much blaming my old man for not washing properly (he has run a steel supply company for 20 odd years so knows more about steel and corrosion then most) they did however try to sell him a new stainless trailer they have just started building for their boats

would you be happy with this?

P8180457.JPG
P8180471.JPG
P8180472.JPG