Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Fourth Spawn (28/7/14)
Here we go again :)

Hopefully he won't eat the eggs this time.

The happy couple

Banggai-401.jpg

And, dad with an egg visible in his mouth - He seems to be holding more this time than on previous occasions.

Banggai-400.jpg

An observation - the first 3 spawns occurred at close to 2 month intervals. I changed their primary diet to a frozen seafood mash 2 weeks before the third spawn as I suspected that they were not getting enough good food. This fourth spawn occurred 5 weeks after the third spawn so a definite improvement - it will be interesting to see if the next spawn occurs around the end of August.

I need to decide when I am going to strip the male of the eggs as he generally eats them :banghead. The last spawn he ate at 13 days - Saturday 9th August will be 12 days - might be a plan ;)

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
I just split my pair up, male carried the first spawn to completion, but since then, for the last six months, he keeps eating the eggs at the 15-20 day mark. Not really his fault though, female keeps dumping eggs on him, 12 days is the longest he's gone with out eggs in his mouth. I'll keep them separated for a month and see how they go then.
I'm thinking about putting another couple of males in the tank, hopefully that would give the males enough time to recuperate between hatches.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm thinking about putting another couple of males in the tank, hopefully that would give the males enough time to recuperate between hatches.
I understand that in the wild the female will mate with a number of males but I don't think that would work in the confines of an aquarium. I suspect that the additional males would just be killed fairly quickly.

I suspect that the only way this could work would be to have the males in separate partitions/tanks and rotate the female around the males - but, we would then need to call you a pimp :D

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
congrats mate , mine have spawned also but its their first time.
How the hell do you get the eggs/fry out of the males mouth ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
congrats mate , mine have spawned also but its their first time.
How the hell do you get the eggs/fry out of the males mouth ?
I would allow the male a few attempts at holding to full term before trying to remove the eggs - you are likely to have more success that way.

I documented my last attempt at removing the eggs here http://thereefuge.com/threads/12-days-post-spawn-2-5-14-egg-collection.10394/.

If the larvae are held long enough the male will just spit them out when ready - often over a couple of days.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I need to decide when I am going to strip the male of the eggs as he generally eats them :banghead. The last spawn he ate at 13 days - Saturday 9th August will be 12 days - might be a plan ;)
I should have stuck to my plan - he is eating tonight :banghead

Friday night he looked good and so I left him. My daughter has been sick over the weekend and so I had other things to do. This morning he looked good. Today, I set up another tank ready to take the egg tumbler - it was taking a while for the water to get up to the correct temperature but I was in no real hurry - I decided that I would strip him tomorrow.

I was too late :dead Not sure if it is a coincidence but he ate the eggs on day 13 - exactly the same as the last spawn.

There is always next month .....

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Sorry for the hijack. . But it's kinda related. ..lol
I took this shot with my phone and it looks like something is trying to say hello.
2014-08-18-18-44-56.png