Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
The Hand-over
So now that my gf is back I have done the hand-over and explained how it all works with the new tank as the last one was an AIO, showed her how the Apex works and set up a few things.

DSC_1132.JPG

Feed Mode A - Return and Skimmer shuts off and is a coral feeding mode, skimmer will start up 5 minutes after the return to prevent any over reaction.

Feed Mode C - Return and skimmer shuts off, return for 35 minutes and skimmer for 60 minutes this is for WC's ensures enough time to change out the water and then for the water to settle before the skimmer comes on and prevents it going nuts. Tested this yesterday works amazing, will be doing 25L WC's.

I'm going to be getting her one of these as there is a sink near-by that she pointed out to me when going to empty the coral bags on the other side of the house lmao would've made the set up 1000x easier had I just looked to my left :banghead lol.

Aqueon Water Changer.jpg

The other thing I'm looking at is trying to find a pump that will fit in a 25L water drums to help with the WC's anyone know of any?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I'm going to be getting her one of these as there is a sink near-by that she pointed out to me when going to empty the coral bags on the other side of the house lmao would've made the set up 1000x easier had I just looked to my left :banghead lol.

View attachment 43010

The other thing I'm looking at is trying to find a pump that will fit in a 25L water drums to help with the WC's anyone know of any?
That's cool, how long is it and how much/where to buy?

The Tunze ATO pump fits in a drum, not sure if you can buy it separately or not.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My tunze ATO pump didn't fit in to the 25l drums. I reckon it was about 2mm too big!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
That's cool, how long is it and how much/where to buy?

The Tunze ATO pump fits in a drum, not sure if you can buy it separately or not.
Nope tunze ato pump didn't fit in the drum. They can be purchased separately as people are always buying replacement pumps, I actually have a spare nano tunze ato.

Comes in 25ft or 50ft Aqueon Water Changer..not sure they sell here in aus, however on google shopping I saw you can buy the main guts of it (the tap fitting) and then you can add your own hose.

Smart ato pump can be bought through K&J. I have heard tunze will fit also
thanks for that if my LFS doesn't have it I will get it from them because I wanted to try grab one this arvo :)

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
like my first girlfriend said to me if it don't fit find the bigger hole. if u cant find a pump to fit can get a 25l drum with a big hole bunnings has them.

I've seen very small pumps about the same size as the smart ato pump if not small down at fin fangs and feathers. im pretty sure they were resun pumps. i did use 1 on a tlf reactor they got plenty of head.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I went and saw the ato last night they had a haliea 100lph pump but only just fit and he told me it would take an hour (exaggeration) to do 25L but I might still try it, other option I'm thinking is sit 2 drums on milkcrates then buy the tap fitting so she can empty the drum into a bucket and do a couple trips and use an Eheim 1000

Surely we can get creative and figure something out

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Comes in 25ft or 50ft Aqueon Water Changer..not sure they sell here in aus, however on google shopping I saw you can buy the main guts of it (the tap fitting) and then you can add your own hose.
Hmm first reviews I found of this:
upload_2014-8-8_9-41-16.png

Is there anything better quality out there??

E

ezza

If she is changing the water herself, she may have trouble lifting a full 25L container by herself. You could tie that blue one onto a luggage trolley ($20 at Bunnings) to wheel around to save her back. I use a big storage tub on a coffee table in front of my tank to mix the water and then use gravity and one of the hand squeeze pump gravel cleaner/siphons to fill the sump. I have the annoying 20 L Bunnings water jerry cans. The spouts are severely dodgy and they only have a handle right on the top, if there was a handle on the back tall side, it would give you a grip for when you do lift a full 20L (20 odd kilos) with one hand to tip into the tank... Nightmare.

Your girlfriend may be fabulously strong and not need the help... I used to be a strong and flexible gymnast, skater and skier, then my lumbar disc bulged and leaked and impinged a main nerve. I don't know what it has cost me to manage over the last 3 years. I don't like to add it up. The surgery alone last week was $6000 ish. Women's bodies are just not built like mens'. Potentially you could find some kind of large bucket they use for making beer? A 30L bucket, placed near the tank, squeeze a gravel pump to start the water flowing and it would be done quite quickly.

Sorry, I don't know if any if this makes sense.