Reef Discussion

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
The HitchHikers guide to.......ID Please
Bought a couple new corals today, was about to put them in the QT when we noticed the bugger below clinging to the base of the rock. Green with two yellow "hands" Has 16 legs and is about the 2" across. I thought it was some sort of grass the way it was folded in the rock, tried to pick it off and the bugger moved! so happy I was wearing old pants! He almost feels like a hard plastic, its like a shell or something. Not the greatest of photo's I know. Anyone have an idea as to good/bad, where to place him?

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2246.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2245.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2239.jpg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes you did well. I think that crinoids may commonly be referred to as basket stars. They are very primitive and have evolved little from the ancestral form

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks Doc,
We do use biopellet reactor so that's good news. Looked this morning and he's perched up on a rock arm's curled up sitting the water flow quite happy. Would you know if he would be OK in with a coral banded shrimp?

You still put us in the direction Magic, thanks :)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hey Ken - just curious as to where you get your corals, somewhere in Melbourne I assume? No hope of anywhere in Melton that stocks them?
Sorry, I'm nosey - I don't drive in Melbourne, and Melton is closer than Geelong :P

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Funny you should ask. I have both Peppermint Shrimp and coral banded shrimp in my display with the crinoid. No issues (as far as I have seen). Lets face it, they look pretty indigestable, I would imagine it would be like eating an ant - all chiton and little else! I would watch it with large wrasses etc.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
you will find that the crinoid will search out areas of high floe. They secrete a mucus along the inside of their arms that trap bacteria/detritus. The caught material is than transferred doen to the mout at the base of the animal. You will find that the animal appears to do nothing, but it is indeed feeding.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Doc- Yeah he doesn't seem to do much, but he cool to watch when he moves.

David- We travel around all over the place. The two we got yesterday where from Geelong. Williamstown, Deer Park & Sunshine have a pretty good range. Mentone, Moorabbin, Frankston, Oakleigh, St.Kilda, are all good and where we get bits and pieces from. There are lots more but Cant think this early in the morning. Have seen a list online somewhere, will see if I can find it and re-post.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Cool. I've used Reef & River in Geelong. I can almost find my way to them without getting too lost.
Before they changed the freeway, I could probably have found my way to Deer Park without freaking out too much.
It's all pretty academic at the moment though - my coral allowance is $0 until I get my LED setup built :cool:

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Umm, wee bit of a retraction sorry David, as for Deer Park, still got the corals (another two just came home with us?) looks like new owner's in the place, nice people, but when they got out a net to catch the coral' s we where after?? Got talking to them and no idea about marine, offered no advice about coral care, what our water para's where, what we already had in the tank, it was just a sale.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Thank you for the forewarning then! Anything from there might become a rescue mission. I tend to feel the same about fish I buy locally :P