Tank Journal Archive

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
The Holding Tank
Update - all fish are ok. All corals and shrimp are dead. Total list of survivors is:
  • 3 trochus, 1 adult & 2 young out of a breeding colony of about 20
  • 1 turbo snail - out of dozens
  • 3 nassarius snails - out of 6
  • My single stromb snail
  • 1x black Sailfin Blenny
  • 2x PJ Cardinal
  • 2x Ocellaris clowns
  • 1x Royal dottyback
All surviving stock is in the QT/holding tank as shown below. All equipment has been sanitised. The GFO reactor is offline for cleaning but will go back tomorrow. Crappy phone pic. I'll try for a better one in daylight.

20160601_200230.jpg

Last edited:

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
That is a neat little holding tank. How long is this their home for?

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
That is a neat little holding tank. How long is this their home for?
In this case it will be until about xmas unless any start to appear stressed, in which case I'll bring another tank or two out of the shed. I want to put a pair of Green Mandarins in the next setup so I'll run my now almost standard, 6 month cycle.

I'm treating almost all of my rock with hydrochloric acid and then RODI with Lanthium for 4 weeks. So where microfauna have built up on their own in my last 6 month cycle, this time I'll be actively stocking it with amphipods, copipods, stomatella, sea hares, sponges, mysis, and pretty much anything I can use to build up biodiversity. Then add some top quality live rock.

One of the LFS I use has a huge 1000ltr tank full of live rock and he doesn't mind me rummaging around in the bottom, looking for diversity. Last time I caught a huge swimmer crab in there, took it home and ate it. :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
In this case it will be until about xmas unless any start to appear stressed, in which case I'll bring another tank or two out of the shed. I want to put a pair of Green Mandarins in the next setup so I'll run my now almost standard, 6 month cycle.

I'm treating almost all of my rock with hydrochloric acid and then RODI with Lanthium for 4 weeks. So where microfauna have built up on their own in my last 6 month cycle, this time I'll be actively stocking it with amphipods, copipods, stomatella, sea hares, sponges, mysis, and pretty much anything I can use to build up biodiversity. Then add some top quality live rock.

One of the LFS I use has a huge 1000ltr tank full of live rock and he doesn't mind me rummaging around in the bottom, looking for diversity. Last time I caught a huge swimmer crab in there, took it home and ate it. :)
hahaha that's awesome, not many get something to eat themselves from the LFS!

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I've now shut down the holding tank and passed on remaining stock to others. This is dragging out and I wasn't happy about my critters being in a 60 litre tank so long. Everything has gone, even my macro collection and some of my experimental tanks.

Unfortunately my elderly father who lived with me, had a serious fall and after a couple of months in hospital, he's had to go into aged care. With all the changes, including a lot of legal stuff so I can take over his affairs, time has been in short supply. I've had the stripped down tank sitting 3 feet out from the wall in the lounge, all that time.

Dad is settled now so I should be able to get off my arse and get things happening now. It really will be a clean start.