Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
The Little Highs And Lows To Keep Us On Our Toes
I saw a Long fin fairy wrasse @ Deer Park aquarium and couldn't resist.

(Not my photo - original from http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/ReefSafeWrasses_saltwaterfish.html)

awww.aquariumcreationsonline.net_images_longfinfairywrasse_Small.jpg

So I made the trip, handed over my $50 note and went home a happy reefer. They warned me it may be a bit small and a risk, however none of my fish are particularly boisterous and I thought I would take the chance.

Did the usual acclimation and set it free. About 0.25 seconds later - gone into hiding. Never saw it again. Probably not great value at $720,000/hour of viewing time :dead

I kept checking for the next few days hoping to see another glimpse but nothing. 1 week went by and no sighting.

2 weeks later and I happened to be playing with the dimming on my lights last night and BAM! - another 0.25 seconds of viewing as it flashed by being chased by the Flamehawk down the other end of the tank. Honestly didn't get enough of a look to check fin condition, weight, general health, etc but at least it's still alive, moving quickly and has a chance :rolleyes

Oh - and on a even more positive note I picked up a Bangaii from a guy shutting his tank down - turned out the be a male (I think) and about the same size as my current female. There's been no fighting and they swim around as a pair. As you can from my Avatar it's my favourite fish and having a pair has been on my "To Do" list for a longgggg time.

so it's been a bit of a win, win lately.

And on the hardware side I've replaced the LED chips on 1 of my 3 lights. And 1 of the 2 pairs of chips is being controlled by the Bluefish mini - worked first time. I have more LDD drivers boards and a second Bluefish mini on the way (Due early Oct) and then I will be able to do the other 2 light units and have all 3 linked. Might have to take some before/after shots.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Guess who showed up last night

Fairy wrasse.jpg

And just because these are my favorite fish

Bangaii.jpg