Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Thankyou honey! Let's hope I can get there! The idea of needing to reduce numbers for calc and mag melts my brain slightly... I wonder what my husband will say if one day we are the owners of a CO2 tank.... Hmmmmz it may be stretching the friendship!
Hmmmz hope you do one day own a co2 tank.

But first you going to need to get rid of that high KH.

To do this you should , for example ,
if you want to reduce KH by 3 say from 15 to 12 use this formula in gallons .

Number of gallons x number of degrees KH you want to drop x .123 = mls muratic acid to add ....

Say 25 gallons x 3 x. 123 gives you 9.225 mls muratic acid to reduce to 12 KH

Now use your existing tank water to do this with an additional 25 gallons and should I say dilute your display with the two buckets/ drums as you will experience a huge drop in ph with the addition of muratic acid but it will bounce back with aeration in the bucket / drum , this will take 24 hours for the ph to come back up.
But it will lower your KH too, to your desired level - get the muratic acid from bunnings it just hydrochloric acid , I call it muratic cos I am old school and obviously check the parameters after aeration after 24 hours -

Way too many glasses of vino for me .

Or you could simply do a long process of water changes to dilute your display . Which would in effect be the same as mentioned above but way more exciting and less tedious to go out to bunnings and make a purchase for under $10 and play science experiment.
Please observe all safety precautions , gloves , glasses and high vis vests when playing with acid- ok forget the hi vis vest.

E

ezza

Hmmmz hope you do one day own a co2 tank.

But first you going to need to get rid of that high KH.

To do this you should , for example ,
if you want to reduce KH by 3 say from 15 to 12 use this formula in gallons .

Number of gallons x number of degrees KH you want to drop x .123 = mls muratic acid to add ....

Say 25 gallons x 3 x. 123 gives you 9.225 mls muratic acid to reduce to 12 KH

Now use your existing tank water to do this with an additional 25 gallons and should I say dilute your display with the two buckets/ drums as you will experience a huge drop in ph with the addition of muratic acid but it will bounce back with aeration in the bucket / drum , this will take 24 hours for the ph to come back up.
But it will lower your KH too, to your desired level - get the muratic acid from bunnings it just hydrochloric acid , I call it muratic cos I am old school and obviously check the parameters after aeration after 24 hours -

Way too many glasses of vino for me .

Or you could simply do a long process of water changes to dilute your display . Which would in effect be the same as mentioned above but way more exciting and less tedious to go out to bunnings and make a purchase for under $10 and play science experiment.
Please observe all safety precautions , gloves , glasses and high vis vests when playing with acid- ok forget the hi vis vest.

I already keep hydrochloric acid in the garage ;) awww.sherv.net_cm_emoticons_jobs_chemist_smiley_emoticon.gif I won't give away the reason why ;)

E

ezza

After having the standard lighting schedule running for a few days, snotty algae is appearing again. I also find the light quite jarring because it is so bright and is on for so long that it is somewhat disturbing.

Doing some reading about the light, the blue spectrum is good for my aquarium due to its depth as the blue light is what would filter through this depth in the ocean. I think I might program the whites to come on for four hours or so throughout the middle of the day for growth stimulation, but certainly not the length and strength of the standard program.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I use hydrochloric acid to make biodiesel so I keep it around as well, it's handy to have sometimes.

As for the GBTA, damn if I know what makes them bubble, I've tried lower the lights, nada, higher lights, nada. Someone should do research on it and write a paper.