Tank Journal Archive

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
The Move, The Losses, The Heartache And The Not So Smooth Beginnings
So I havent done a tank update in ages!

I moved in June to Canberra.

In the move I lost a heap of fish and inverts. Some were an incredible loss, especially the potters angel I'd had for around 1.5 years and a redline shrimp. Also, lost most of my prized SPS.

The tank just hasn't been what it was but im gradually getting there. Need to take some pics.

About a month and a half ago, I bought some wild clowns. Got white spot and annihilated the rest of the fish (bar one, fire goby of undeathly immunity). Rookie mistake after 4 - 5 years in reefing... haha

So i've got a spare aquamedic blenny that I planned to set up as QT. could a lone marine pure cube be sufficient for getting the system going with an air pump?

Then it's time to wait for a few weeks for the QT to set up then off to order fish!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Isn't moving your tank the worst! Sorry to hear of the losses :(

What method/s of QT are you using? If its for observation, then the Marine Pure block, airstone and water changes will be fine. I'd also put a Seachem Ammonia alert in the tank. And a hiding place such as a pipe. If one of the fish has something contagious however you will need to disinfect everything in the QT before using it again so will lose your bacteria on the marine pure block in the process.

If your QT method involves medications, I would leave out the marine pure block and replace it with a basic sponge filter that will need to be cleaned every few days.

I would also make sure there was some flow in the tank, its not essential but its more natural for the fish and will keep them happier - purely an opinion.

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
@Agent M Looking to have a medicated QT set up. So the plan is now to just grab some filter wool and keep a bit in my sump for QT purposes. When I take the QT down i will just throw the medicated old stuff out. Going to use seachem cupramine. Will also purchase a small power head. Need to get my head back in the game!

@corals Thanks mate! Not too many of us in Canberra. I've got a few zoo frags i'm looking to offload.