Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The Not-so Stony Shallows
Well it was a sad day on the shallows today! About a week ago I discovered that the aefw were still in my tank and so unfortunately it's come to a decision of what to do and I've taken the extreme route! I'm going scorched earth on them this time and I'm completely ridding the tank of all the acro and starving them of their food source. This means that I'm going 10wks of no acro's until mid-late Jan :( However it's given me the opportunity to do a pretty big clean and rescape!
On a more positive note, I absolutely am in love with the sBar actinic LED strip :inlove: :inlove: so much so I'm going to get a second one to even out the light haha
as25.postimg.org_3mvd0fr6n_20171105_163116.jpg

So after a bit of a kick in the bum from Dave, I got in there are tore all the acro's out and puttied over any encrusted areas.
The ultimate insult!
as25.postimg.org_k7bvowobz_20171107_150524.jpg

And I went on my rescape rampage too! I picked up 2.5kg in small pieces of live rock and a few (3.5kg) nice real reef rock bridging type pieces as well (which are soaking in RO at the moment), I also picked up a Triton ICP test to see whats going on! lol I think I'm going to do three over the next few months to make sure the tank is super acro ready come mid Jan :)
as25.postimg.org_rajr4j973_20171107_160105.jpg

I have no real idea or inspiration for the scape so suggestions are welcome but this is pre-phase 1 with new live rock added to the tank :)
as25.postimg.org_xbhg1l8nz_20171107_175724_01.jpg

as25.postimg.org_isab067tb_20171107_171816_01.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Bugger me.
Sorry to read this Dom.
Can't you dip the existing acro's?
Thanks Rob, bit of shitty luck but I suppose that is reefing! I would have preferred to have done the dipping method but with travel for work and holidays and being away from home, I won't be able to implement a routine that will guarantee success so mass destruction it was :(

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thankfully you don't get STD's like your tank gets AEFW dude (well I am assuming so...)

So did you just bin all your acro?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Thankfully you don't get STD's like your tank gets AEFW dude (well I am assuming so...)

So did you just bin all your acro?
I hope so as well :p

Yep, everything and anything acro related is now gone from the tank.

What a setback mate! Sorry to hear dude.... get back on it soon...
Thanks mate, pretty big set back on the acro front but at least I can focus on other things while I wait :)

oh no good, what potions did you try to eliminate them ? I watched a tank year ago get decimated with some potion but i can't remember what it was.
No potions this time around, scorched earth policy this time! I did Bayer dipping last time though :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Took some crappy quick pics with the dslr last night under just the blues :)
I'm pretty happy with this right side of the scape, I think it'll work well and the fish love the cave system in there
as25.postimg.org_bs10ffd7z_IMG_3817.jpg

Left side is shambles though haha I still have two pieces of reef rock to use so we'll see
as25.postimg.org_fbmy5331b_IMG_3818.jpg