Tank Journal Archive

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
The Plan
This part of the journal is more to keep me on track than anything else. I find that if I state my intentions publicly, I'm more inclined to stay with the plan.:reading

This version of Resurrection will be challenging as I'm going from a high nutrient philosophy (keeping gonis, sun corals , etc) to the low nutrient philosophy dominant in the hobby currently. The hardest thing to change will probably be my own ingrained habits but as the end vision this time includes SPS, I 'gotta do what I gotta do'.

Initial thoughts:
  • Replace the soft plumbing with hard plumbing except for a small length connecting the return pump (to reduce vibration). This will prevent the algae buildup I'm beginning to see in the soft plumbing. In keeping with the hard plumbing at the overflow, it will all be done with black poly instead of PVC.
  • Get a new sump made to accommodate extra equipment and allow sufficient drainback to use the drilled returns at both ends of the tank. The returns will provide directional flow behind rockwork to minimise dead spots.
  • Plumb a T into return to provide flow for reactors, eliminating the need for individual pumps and cutting down on power and noise.
  • Install SCWD into returns.
  • Mount LED's in hood with additional vents and pc fan. Have a single power cord to distributor box in (or at back of) hood.
  • New substrate. Crushed marble? Size?
  • Use weir as pod/shrimp refuge. Again keeping captive Trochus snails in there.
  • All rock to be treated for PO4. No live rock will be used this time & I will import all required microfauna. Note contact Oceanarium.
  • Buy second Jebao RW25 unit.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I really have to get a move on with this, the tank's broken down and ready to be plumbed.

Unfortunately my elderly father broke his hip and the two hour round trip to the hospital every few days is killing me. My kids have also been sick and I've just completed the annual round of checks and tests on my rare form of brain tumour - 8 years clean now. :)