News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The Reefuge Gold Revised
Hello everyone,

I would like to share the revised version of the gold. For those of you who will ask, here is the reason why cashing out is not possible. This is a final decision and will not be looked at further at this point in time. Before going further, I would like to list a few general rules (which may change before launch) about Gold.

Rules
  • A user is not allowed to use Gold as a way of allowing participation. In other words, a user is not allowed to say "Must have gold" in order for another user to participate in the thread, activity, etc.
  • A user is not allowed to sell their Gold to another user.
  • Gold is non-refundable
They are the basic rules for the time being. This is to ensure that any user who does not have Gold is not alienated from those that do. Remember, it is a fun way of helping this network.

Gifting Points

If a user makes a quality post, you can gift them points from your account by clicking the “Gold” button located on their post. This will deduct 2 points from your Gold Bank. 1 point will go to the user who created the content and 1 point will go to The Reefuge Network. This is a way to not only help fund the website, but to also say thanks to the user for posting the content in the first place. This allows growth of the website and motivates users to post good quality content. Users can then use the points however they see fit.

User Upgrades
Users can use their points to purchase user upgrades. However, it does not stop there. Members can also purchase entire upgrades for other users when checking out. As an example, a user is able to purchase a mood upgrade for any other user(s) of The Reefuge should they wish to do so.

New Features

Automatic Response - 20 Points/Month or 200 Points/Year
The Automatic Response is a simple PM system that will automatically reply to a user when they send you a personal conversation. This is good for users who do a lot of trading on the forums.

Moods - 30 Points/Month or 300 Points/Year
Moods are just a fun way of sharing the mood you are in. It is the same as the mood icon in my user information bit on the left of this post.

Image in signature - 20 Points/M or 200 Points/Y
This feature will allow you to include an image in your signature. You are allowed one image, and its maximum size may be 180 x 100 pixels.

Addons

Medals:
Medals are a great way to support the site and add a bit of colour to your user profile. Medals will also show in the user information bit (under Avatar and information). These a just a small image that you can purchase using Gold to help support the site. They are a once-off purchase and have a life-span of 12 months. Multiple medals can be purchased.

awww.lavapixel.com_thereefuge_sharedimages_medals_blue_gold.png
- 10 points /// I want a medal.

awww.lavapixel.com_thereefuge_sharedimages_medals_red_gold.png
- 20 points /// Nice site.

awww.lavapixel.com_thereefuge_sharedimages_medals_green_gold.png
- 30 points /// I like it here.

awww.lavapixel.com_thereefuge_sharedimages_medals_blue_star.png
- 50 points /// I love it here.

awww.lavapixel.com_thereefuge_sharedimages_medals_green_star.png
- 100 points /// The Reefuge is my home.

awww.lavapixel.com_thereefuge_sharedimages_medals_black_star_small.png
- 500 points /// Work on more projects.

awww.lavapixel.com_thereefuge_sharedimages_medals_black_star.png
- 5000 points /// Let thy Reefuge grow.

If anyone has any suggestions for different upgrades, please suggest them here.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
No cashing out makes sense.

How about paying to include an image in your signature? Still within guidelines of course ... I think that would be popular.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
No cashing out makes sense.

How about paying to include an image in your signature? Still within guidelines of course ... I think that would be popular.
Or perhaps a paying option directed at the business folks to allow (slightly) larger images in their signatures so they're a little more effective?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @slin1977,

Short: Yes and No

Paypal is good as it allows the system to work automatically. Using their API, The Reefuge is able to confirm if a payment has been made, and thus change the users settings to suit. Direct Deposit has no method of doing this, and must be done manually. Due to time, I will not be able to have Direct Deposit as a regular way of paying, not to mention payments take 5 days to clear and confirm.

I can take Direct Deposit for special cases (user does not have a paypal, user is under 18 and has their parents pay, etc), but as a normal part of the system, Direct Deposit unfortunately is not possible.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Custom title could be another (ie the ability to change from 'Member' to whatever you want, or in addition to).

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Custom title could be another (ie the ability to change from 'Member' to whatever you want, or in addition to).
Hello @chimaera,

This was considered, but it was decided the forums would look too messy. At least for the time being, this feature will not be implemented. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Thanks

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Just a question about the pic in sig.
Would you be able to use animated gifs?
I think that would be a good way for businesses to advertise specials without having to manually post it in a new thread.
Maybe bumping up the gold needed for an animated gif, would suit.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hello @chimaera,

This was considered, but it was decided the forums would look too messy. At least for the time being, this feature will not be implemented. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Thanks
How about the approach that a lot of forums take and use more of a rank approach, so members who have been here for a long time (as opposed to just high post counts) are recognised as such..ie Senior Member... though this is an idea that probably doesn't have so much to do with the Gold system.... though you could perhaps have just one or two options that could be bought with Gold - say Old Reefer or Reef Guru or something along those lines. It's still relatively tidy given the limited options, and it isn't something that people can just buy... then need to have been around long enough to reach the necessary rank, then have the option to have one of a couple of titles should they so choose.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Just a question about the pic in sig.
Would you be able to use animated gifs?
I think that would be a good way for businesses to advertise specials without having to manually post it in a new thread.
Maybe bumping up the gold needed for an animated gif, would suit.
Hello @rockerpeller,

The forums are designed to have a neat look to them. Animated gifs look terrible and increase page load time too. Advertisers have services available for business, the signatures are a quick means of contact for them, not advertising space. Thank for the suggestion though :)

Thanks.

How about the approach that a lot of forums take and use more of a rank approach, so members who have been here for a long time (as opposed to just high post counts) are recognised as such..ie Senior Member... though this is an idea that probably doesn't have so much to do with the Gold system.... though you could perhaps have just one or two options that could be bought with Gold - say Old Reefer or Reef Guru or something along those lines. It's still relatively tidy given the limited options, and it isn't something that people can just buy... then need to have been around long enough to reach the necessary rank, then have the option to have one of a couple of titles should they so choose.
Hello @DavidS,

User ranks would be best to stay the same, only differing between staff and members. I believe it would be best to keep ranking on the same field for all members. Some members have been here since the launch of the site and made 2 posts. Others have been here a month or two and have added a lot of valuable content and helped out other users. I would not consider it fair.
Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Thanks.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
On another forum that I used to frequent, you could have a few words just beneath your username.
Eg, Mine said -

Midnight
"Mali-Muffin's Mum"

I'd be happy to pay for something like that, and the forum still looks neat and tidy :) Just an idea based on @chimaera 's suggestion ;)

As an example, a user is able to purchase a mood upgrade for any other user(s) of The Reefuge should they wish to do so.
Does that mean that I can nominate someone to be "grumpy"?? :P Kidding!

And please excue my ignorance, but what does the M and Y stand for below?

20 Points/M or 200 Points/Y

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @TheJordans,

The text under the username is the user title. For now, this will not be a feature.

M and Y stand for month/year, I will update the first post to include this.

Nominate no... however you can purchase an upgrade for them if they do not have their account upgraded :)

Thanks.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Hello @slin1977,

Short: Yes and No

Paypal is good as it allows the system to work automatically. Using their API, The Reefuge is able to confirm if a payment has been made, and thus change the users settings to suit. Direct Deposit has no method of doing this, and must be done manually. Due to time, I will not be able to have Direct Deposit as a regular way of paying, not to mention payments take 5 days to clear and confirm.

BPay?

I can take Direct Deposit for special cases (user does not have a paypal, user is under 18 and has their parents pay, etc), but as a normal part of the system, Direct Deposit unfortunately is not possible.

Thanks.

girlz0r

Apr 17, 2013
This is great. Wasn't too sure about previous system but after the few revisions I am definitely for it. Great work and very excited to participate.