News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The Reefuge Gold Update
Hello everyone,

As some of you may know, there is something heading this way called The Reefuge Gold. I would just like to show members how it will work. Basically The Reefuge Gold is a donation system for members to donate money to The Reefuge to help with server and development costs. However, because the community is the heart of the website, I decided it is only fair that the donations made to the site are shared with the members.

So, having said that, this is how it works.

A member can purchase gold points via an online shop. Basically the member pays through paypal to buy points. At this point in time 1 point = 10c (10 points = $1). The user can then use these points to purchase things like account upgrades (a list will be made available in the future). However, a user can also use these points to motivate good content.

If a user makes a post with good content, a little logo will appear. When a reader clicks this, it will deduct 2 points from their account. 1 point will go to "The Reefuge" (the donation to the site), and the other point will go to the content creator (person who made the thread). It was originally planned that a 50% donation fee would be incurred when the user cashes their points in for money, but I believe it is better when done during the transfer.

Gold points can also be cashed in. So if a user has (for example) 50 points, they can simply cash them in for real money equal to the amount of points they have (in this case $5).

I would like as much feedback as possible, as I think this is a great way for users to not only support the site, but also to support each other.
http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/user-upgrades.6848/
Preview Account Upgrades

Thanks.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
I like the idea. Would it be possible that users can score free upgrades based on posts made and clicked resulting in a point to a The Reefuge, (once a certain amount of points are issued to the Reefuge via "good content" of course).

This would encourage users to post "good content", sort of a reward for actively assisting fellow hobbyists, and in the interim, driving The Reefuge donations.

Love the site by the way, thanks for providing....:)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Wouldn't the user, through the gold coins collected from other members for "good content" simply use these points to purchase the upgrades?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I like the idea. Would it be possible that users can score free upgrades based on posts made and clicked resulting in a point to a The Reefuge, (once a certain amount of points are issued to the Reefuge via "good content" of course).

This would encourage users to post "good content", sort of a reward for actively assisting fellow hobbyists, and in the interim, driving The Reefuge donations.

Love the site by the way, thanks for providing....:)
Wouldn't the user, through the gold coins collected from other members for "good content" simply use these points to purchase the upgrades?
Hello @chrispc66,

@macca_75 answered your question. Earning gold points due to posting (users donating gold to you) will allow you to use the points for purchasing upgrades.

Thanks.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
I think I might have put that across unclear, or difficult to understand. What I meant was the points that go to The Reefuge earn the poster rewards. The point received by the user may be saved and cashed in.

If a user posts something helpful, someone may wish to reward by donating 2 points to the user of which one goes to The Reefuge. Once that poster has created rewards for The Reefuge to a certain amount, the poster is rewarded with a free upgrade.

I understand the points that go to the poster may be used to purchase upgrades, reward others good posts or cash in. I see any points I purchase or earn going to other good posts, so everyone benefits.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @chrispc66,

The point given to The Reefuge is the donation to the site. If users could use these for free upgrades, the points lose value on the site itself, as now they are only worth money as opposed to services. I do understand what you are saying though, but the site has to at some point stop giving things away in order to set up a basis for a currency model.

Thanks.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
No worries. I'm looking forward to purchasing coins and using them for this worthwhile cause. Thank you for taking the time to clarify and explain your position on the idea.

Cheers.....:)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
No worries. I'm looking forward to purchasing coins and using them for this worthwhile cause. Thank you for taking the time to clarify and explain your position on the idea.

Cheers.....:)
Hello @chrispc66,

I will write up a full post soon explaining exactly how the system works. With any luck, most of the members will make an initial purchase to kickstart the project and it will really help with the growth of the website.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

The Gold has been added to the wiki. This is a basic rundown of how it works. Please provide feedback and let me know what you would like changed, added, or reworded. This is designed to explain The Reefuge Gold to new users who have never heard of it before. If there is any questions the user has after reading the topic, it has failed. It should explain it completely.

http://wikireef.org/doku.php/thereefugegold

Thanks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
  • 50 points - ($5.00 for 50 points) + (3.5% paypal fee ($0.18) + (30c paypal transaction fee) - Total: $4.48
The total for this line should be $5.48 :)

EDITED: The Reefuge.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @MagicJ,

The points have been added in a table now. I am undecided if we should trade in USD or AUD, as I have added "x"% to cover dollar fluctuation. Please review.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

The gold purchase has been changed. Users will not be charged transaction fees for purchasing gold, or using it to buy account upgrades. However, if gold is going to be cashed out (for money), transaction fees apply.

Thanks.

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
I'm a little confused with the cashing out bit.

The table shows the gold cashout value of 100 points to be $8.70.

But underneath the heading Cashing out it says "if you have 100 points in your account, you can exchange it for $10. There is no fee when cashing out".

I'm sure I'm just missing something o_0

EDIT: Just saw those changes after I posted. Makes sense now!

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @lorby,

Sorry, I forgot to change it. The reason for this is before users were going to pay the fee when purchasing. Seeing as most users will use their gold for account upgrades and gifting gold, the fee will only be issued for users who want to cash their points for money. The Reefuge will take on the fee for point purchases but not cash outs. This has been updated.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

Moods will be available for "x" amount of gold each month :)

Thanks.