Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Second Hatch
As expected, another spawn hatched on the night of 27/8/14. I didn't have time to do anything with them before work so they stayed in the larval snagger for the day - I did put some NHBBS in with them.

On the evening of the 28/8 I set up a small tank and transferred over the larvae, or zoea as shrimp are known. I added some green water, Nannochloropsis, together with a generous amount of NHBBS. By the time I got home from work on 29/8 it was obvious that there had been significant die-off.

This morning I thought they were all dead as I couldn't see any, but this evening I was able to find 30+ still alive.

I will keep trying with the remaining zoea but my expectations are not high.

I don't think there is enough water movement in my tank and hope to find time tomorrow to buy a small fish bowl or something similar.

1 day old larvae in the snagger
PS-43.jpg

This is a 1 day old zoea
PS-39.jpg

2 day old zoea - notice the change in the eyes which are now on stalks

At least they are moulting :)
PS-42.jpg

PS-41.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Albino

Feb 23, 2013
This is awesome mate. I haven't been on for a while but love finding your posts when I come back...

2 questions:

1, more me being lazy and not going thru the old posts. But what species of shimp is it?

2, did u get the nannochloropsis from CSIRO? If not where did u get it? Was it guaranteed to be sterile? And how many $ did it set u back?

See how I make it sound like 2 questions, even thought there's like 5 ;)

Keep up the good work mate!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Tim, appreciate the comments.

Yes, I think I can count 5 "?'s" :D

The short answers to your questions :

1 - Peppermint Shrimp - the species available in Australia is Lysmata vittata. There are around 7 species worldwide with a common name of Peppermint Shrimp.
2.1 - No
2.2 - A Reefuge member from Queensland
2.3 - No
2.4 - the cost of postage

Now, just to expand a bit ...

My original supply of Nannochloropsis was obtained from @Dr. Schell approximately 12 months ago. I am not sure where he sourced it from originally nor the actual species involved. It wasn't guaranteed to be sterile but I also don't think, in my situation, it matters too much. It continues to grow and meets my needs for feeding to rotifers and providing greenwater for the larval tanks.

Nanno is the only algae I am culturing so contamination is not an issue. I know that there are a variety of other algae's which are suitable for feeding to various larvae, and their foods items, and I have seen setups which use air filters on the airlines to prevent cross contamination.

I have looked at the Australian National Algae Culture Collection (ANACC) website and have considered a purchase, especially as it is located at the CSIRO in Hobart, but the cost has been prohibitive - $250 for 250ml. I have been told by a very knowledgeable breeder in Australia that, as a hobbyist, you don't have time to culture algae AND larvae - I tend to agree :)

I am happy to supply a bottle of nanno if any member requires it - just send me a PM and we will sort something out.

Cheers

Albino

Feb 23, 2013
Awesome! Just wanted to clarify the basics of the hobby side. As I've mentioned before, I'm currently doing my batchelors in aquaculture, and one of my current subjects is Algology and Zooplankton. We are obviously taught how to culture the algae in lab conditions and just wanted to see how it's done at home ;).

How long have u had the culture going for? The reason I ask this is because we, at school, have it drilled into us 'sterilization is key'. Which is obviously not a stipulation you're to worried about.

Do u grow and split the culture or does it just maintain?

Hope I'm not draining it with to many questions. Just finding this stuff interesting!

Also from what I've leaned so far, most species of nannochloropsis have pretty good nutritional value I believe.

Cheers,

Tim

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Albino - apologies for the delayed response but I've been without my computer for a week or so :banghead

I've bought myself a microscope and started collecting some local zooplankton - sometimes I think I should have studied something different at Uni. I might need to hit you up for some ID's ;)

I have had my nanno culture going for just over 12 months - maybe it is because I am not culturing any other strains of algae but I don't really worry too much about sterilisation procedures etc.

This is my culture station - foam box with the front cut out; 6500k LED's fixed to some aluminium square pipe for heatsinking; LED's driven by a few Meanwell LDD drivers; and all controlled by an Arduino microcomputer. The LED's are mounted on both sides of the bracket so I can fit in 6 x 3l containers.

And this is my protocol:
  • start with clean bottles - I did initially use the bleach/vinegar regime but don't bother any more
  • fill approximately 20% with the nanno inoculant
  • top up with water at around 1.020 SG - usually I use ASW but occasionally will use NSW if I have some
  • put in some fertiliser - I use Aquasol - the amount I use is somewhat imprecise :rolleyes - I use the end of a small screwdriver to measure out a few scoops :)
  • insert airtube and apply a fairly strong bubble flow
  • over a few days (and depending on temperature) the nanno turns from a light green to a darker green as it multiplies and increases in density.
  • I use the oldest bottle to feed my rotifers - when it gets down to around 20% I just top it up with water, add some fertiliser and wait for the cycle to continue
  • Every 2 to 3 times I will filter the remaining 20% through a 48 micron sieve to clean out any crap and give the bottle a wash out with water. If the bottle gets too dirty I just throw it out and get a new one - these are just 3l juice bottles.
So, it's pretty straightforward and doesn't take up much time.

Yes, Nannochloropsis sp. are good for feeding to larval fish and rotifers as it is an energy rich food source which can contain high levels of fatty acids.

Happy to answer any questions :)