Tank Journal Archive

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
The Stand
hi reefers,

This is where I will document the stand build.

I have started calculating the amount of steel that will be required, and have a design in mind.

I will be using 50x50 steel fence posts.

Do you think 2mm will be thick enough?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
How big is the tank?
Depending where you are I have enough spare steel to build a 6 footer. With over kill strength.
Recently changed my build material to stainless 40 x 40 with 1.7mm

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
How big is the tank?
Depending where you are I have enough spare steel to build a 6 footer. With over kill strength.
Recently changed my build material to stainless 40 x 40 with 1.7mm
Hi Slin,

8.5ft(2600mm) is the tank length X 800mm wide X600mm high. Im in the western suburbs of sydney.

why the change to stainless? strength and sw corrosion resistance?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I might have some pieces that long, I would need to check.

Went stainless as I wanted to make something exposed and not clad in timber.

I think the material is 100 x 50 , super overkill for a three footer. I originally planned 6 foot .

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014

I think the material is 100 x 50 , super overkill for a three footer. I originally planned 6 foot .
Where abouts are you located slin?

You didn't want to powder coat the stand? I dont plan on cladding either, will have it powder coated or something alike to protect from corrosion.

lol, but this is where im stuck, even though your material is 100X50, isnt the actual mm of steel more important?

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011

your SS will still corrode, one of my previous stands was 316 grade SS and still got surface discoloration/rust

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Thanks for stopping through pubenator, excellent, so 50x50 @ 3mm steel fence post it is.:)

@slin1977 I would have got it, but steel that is already galvanised is annoying to weld.

Just buff the gal off the steel before you weld it. Also always drink a glass of milk before you weld anything gal, coats your stomach. Otherwise you can get crook in the gut.

I see no advantage in SS over mild steel, strength difference is a bees penis and if you buy gal steel and cold gal your welds after a good wire brushing it will resist water well. But if you really want good protection then go to your local paint store they have good marine paints you can use that live in saltwater on ships and boats.

That is just from my boilermaking years.