Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Start - July 2011
Introduction:
After keeping a small tropical freshwater tank for a number of years, I started up my first marine aquarium in August 1999. This was a second hand 4x2x2 with a built in skimmer, wet/dry filter etc. The lack of a sump soon proved too much, and I purchased a new 4x2x2 with corner overflow in June 2002. This tank progressed well until 2006 when it was emptied to enable a house renovation to be completed - with two kids and an interstate move, the tank has remained empty until now.

This was a picture of the old tank taken in 2004 (loved the Rose BTA - I think I paid about $50 at the time) :

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_FTS_Old_Tank.jpg

This is how it look after SW was added - a bit of aquascaping still to be completed:

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_FTS_080111.jpg

System Objectives: Create an environment that my corals and fish will be happy with and to introduce my daughter (4 1/2) to aquariums - she insists on getting a 'Dory' but I don't like her chances :stop

After having used Reeflections as my LFS in Melbourne I am going to struggle a bit in Hobart. We have a very limited local supply, and our quarantine laws makes mail order difficult - at least it should stop any impulse buys :rolleyes

System Type: Mixed Reef - I have mainly kept LPS and softies in the past but would like to try some SPS once the tank matures.

Display System:

Strike up Date: 18 December 2010

Display Tank: 4x2x2

Display Lighting: DIY LED's (previously 2 x 250w MH)

Stand: Hand made clad with blackwood, the same as our flooring

Hood: Hand made, currently using my old hood but will make a new one when I build a new LED system.

Sump: 30x15x12 with 3 partitions (skimmer, refugium and return).

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water - collected from Roches Beach

Display Water circulation: 3 x JVP 5000 L/h - will do until I can afford something better

Return Pump: Aqua One 2200 L/h

Skimmer: Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi SL - not a bad skimmer but probably doesn't compare to current models. I will look to upgrade in the next 12 months.

Evaporation Top Up: Currently manual but will be converted to auto shortly when I finish my Arduino based controller.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: TBD

Alkilinity Addition: TBD

Current Water Chemistry: 21 January 2011
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10ppm
Phosphates: Not tested
Alkalinity: Not tested
Calcium: Not tested
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Controller

I have almost finished programming my Arduino based controller, which controls all the electrical equipment on the tank - I will provide more detail in a post shortly.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
FTS please.
I received an 'alert' for your post but didn't even realise it was my thread until I opened it up :)

This tank has been pretty much looking after itself the past 12 months as I have been concentrating on other things, like my clownfish breeding project and now my banggai's.

My fish are happy, and the remaining corals are happy - primarily some zoa's, morphs, GSP (yes @slin1977 your GSP is still looking great - and I would estimate that I have given away over 40 frags!) and my big, orange ric.

I will take a FTS tonight for historical purposes as it is likely that my current setup will be taken down in the next few months when I swap over to my new tank.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hello Magic, it's good to hear your tank is looking after it's self , nothing more satisfying.
I should have spoken sooner for the FTS .... I guess I am too patient. Good luck with the clownfish too.