Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes, they have all been named - Egg 1 , Egg 2, Egg 3 .........Egg 522.

I have just the one pair - they are spawning about every 18 days at the moment. There is a record of the spawns on the first post.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
hahaha well played :p

Just looked at the first post, can't believe I missed that. Just gonna say that I love your work! :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Are you going to raise this lot or just focus on the first batch for now?

My 8 y.o. checks out this thread with me every night now to see if there's new pictures if the babies!
Hi Brett

My kids want to have a look as soon as they get home from school :)

I will try to get some nice pictures for this afternoon then - it's not easy due to the nanno and rots in the water and the fish are still tiny :rolleyes

I will make a decision on the new nest over the next week - I am due to start some holidays in a week so I will have some time to spend with them but I don't think I need more than 100 to start with. I may have been lucky with the current ones but it looks like I will only loose about 20% of what I started with. The smaller numbers make it easier to maintain water quality etc and I would not be able to move on large numbers anyway.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have been playing around, again, with my USB Microscope :rolleyes

A video of some rotifers together with some newly hatched brine shrimp for a size comparison.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Careful you'll go blind if you play with it too much :rolleyes nice vid mate, awesome watching the rots go flying by lol

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Spawn Number 6 hatched last night but I let this one go - these is no use spending time and money raising clowns if I can't move them on. I might try again when the current ones are big enough to sell :)

E

ezza

I will take them all :) they can be my babies :) I will hug them and squeeze them and call them George . :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I will take them all :) they can be my babies :) I will hug them and squeeze them and call them George . :D
They are pretty cute :) - although there are a few that are starting to act like females and boss all the others :eek

I have a local guy who is looking to add 10 or so to a large tank - that would look pretty spectacular with a large nem.

E

ezza

I would love a colony in mine too. They came from one at the LFS. It is definitely something I am seriously considering.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think they are more interested in designer clowns - I am sure there are a few guys closer than me who can supply the standard orange/white varieties.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Now at 24 DPH and my babies are growing up :)

There have been no further losses, although there are still two very tiny fish. They had there last feed of NHBBS yesterday and so are now fully weaned until artificial foods - makes life a bit easier. I have also introduced a sponge filter which should keep the ammonia under control, although this hasn't been a major issue for me given the number of larvae I started with. There is some aggression starting to develop - I am not sure at what age they can change into a female but there is a couple who are definitely going to end up as girls ;)

Clownfish-485.jpg

Third stripe (tail) appearing on most now, with the black edging starting to develop around the bands
Clownfish-488.jpg

I have a small number with some misbars - probably only about 5 or so
Clownfish-487.jpg

And I thought this was an interesting 'spot' near the dorsal fin :)
Clownfish-486.jpg

Cheers