Tank Journal Archive

Nick.C

Jan 10, 2013
Warwick SE/QLD
The Start....
Hi All,

Starting a Journal on my very first ever marine tank.. yerp I choose to go a Pico to :).

I will put a list of the things I have bought and try upload some pictures so you can all see my progress. thanks to a fellow Reefuge members "Buddy", "MTG" & "Chimaera" who has helped me out ALOT with this. below is a list of things I am running on my tank and what I have purchased to hopefully get me going with no dramas :D

28L Pico Acrylic Cube
Ocean Free Nanoskimmer
50w Hydor Theo heater
Hydor Nano Wavemaker
Micmol Aqua Mini full spectrum LED lighting

I have also purchased Alk, Calcium, Nitrate, Nitrite, Potassium, Ammonia, Phosphate and PH test kits in Salifert brand. Should keep me going for a while.

Attached is a start picture of the set up. the skimmer fits in the back perfect! happy with how it fits. Sorry about the shitty image. I will get better ones when I do updates.

20140812_171209.jpg

Stay tuned for regular updates.

Bye for now
Nick.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hi All,

Starting a Journal on my very first ever marine tank.. yerp I choose to go a Pico to :).

I will put a list of the things I have bought and try upload some pictures so you can all see my progress. thanks to a fellow Reefuge members "Buddy", "MTG" & "Chimaera" who has helped me out ALOT with this. below is a list of things I am running on my tank and what I have purchased to hopefully get me going with no dramas :D

28L Pico Acrylic Cube
Ocean Free Nanoskimmer
50w Hydor Theo heater
Hydor Nano Wavemaker
Micmol Aqua Mini full spectrum LED lighting

I have also purchased Alk, Calcium, Nitrate, Nitrite, Potassium, Ammonia, Phosphate and PH test kits in Salifert brand. Should keep me going for a while.

Attached is a start picture of the set up. the skimmer fits in the back perfect! happy with how it fits. Sorry about the shitty image. I will get better ones when I do updates.

View attachment 43262

Stay tuned for regular updates.

Bye for now
Nick.
woohoo!

'vspec'

Aug 26, 2012
Melbourne
@Nick.C

Welcome to the reefuge bud
Look forward to your progress dude, nanos are tuff, pico even tuffer, make sure your latched onto your support network if this is the first tank bud, shes an awesomely steep curve, but enjoyable. Rock on, will pop in on your progress
party.gif

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Hey mate looking forward to this...one thing you might wanna do is get a joiner for the air pump, it has 2 outlets and will be noise and wont be using the full potential of the air pump, so 2 out of the air pump feed into joiner and go into 1 to the skimmer.

Looking forward to this :)

Nick.C

Jan 10, 2013
Warwick SE/QLD
Hey mate looking forward to this...one thing you might wanna do is get a joiner for the air pump, it has 2 outlets and will be noise and wont be using the full potential of the air pump, so 2 out of the air pump feed into joiner and go into 1 to the skimmer.

Looking forward to this :)
Thanks for the input :) I will go out tomorrow and get a joiner for that. I didn't even realise until you pointed it out HAHAHA

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Thanks for the input :) I will go out tomorrow and get a joiner for that. I didn't even realise until you pointed it out HAHAHA
Yeah not sure why they sell it like that.

Being a smaller tank the pump should be enough, on the 34L though i upgraded the air pump, as you know you try keep a lower bioload with nano and pico tanks so there virtually isnt enough to get the skimmer to work, with this skimmer anyway. you may have a better experience as it is a smaller tank than mine but has the same size air pump.

Do you plan on doing regular water changes? if you're doing 10-20% a week you might even find you wont need the skimmer :)

Nick.C

Jan 10, 2013
Warwick SE/QLD
Yeah not sure why they sell it like that.

Being a smaller tank the pump should be enough, on the 34L though i upgraded the air pump, as you know you try keep a lower bioload with nano and pico tanks so there virtually isnt enough to get the skimmer to work, with this skimmer anyway. you may have a better experience as it is a smaller tank than mine but has the same size air pump.

Do you plan on doing regular water changes? if you're doing 10-20% a week you might even find you wont need the skimmer :)
I am planning on doing a 5L change weekly and top ups when needed during the week. My RO system should turn up next week so I will be able to start the cycle in about 2 weeks. Can't wait. mega exciting times at the moment