Tank Journal Archive

gigglypig

Feb 15, 2016
The Tangs And Two Week Update
So it has been almost 2 weeks since the tank was up and running. All systems seems to be running very well. And levels are remaining stable. Im getting an algal bloom on the sand which will hopefully go away as the nutrients start to deplete.
I have since added another hammer, Has a lovely light teal colour. And Some tangs a beautiful yellow tang and a sailfin tang that are settling in well.

The Tangs: Both eating like pigs and munching down on the Nori. Also doing a good job at cleaning some of the algae off the live rock. Still a little tank shy but has shown no interest in my other 2 fish or themselves.
Although tangs 50 percent of he time will not successfully live together, my choice to get two tangs was based on reading others experience. I have seen 2/3/4 from the same family living together for several years in an even smaller tank, with no issues. I had a 50/50 chance.
That said, Before deciding to purchase these two tangs, I asked to observe their behaviour over a period of 1.5 weeks at the LFS in the same tank, to see what they were like together. Since I lived nearby I was at their shop watching these two for about an hour each visit. While I was there they weren't interested in each other. At a slight move the yellow tang would bolt to the nearest rock to hide. Both were in good shape, fat with no missing fins or tethered 'sails' and tail.
They were acclimated to the tank together and when added to the tank, they stayed side by side for about 2 days before venturing to see the rest of the tank. To me they looked like buddies.
For now these guys are under careful watch. Any sign of aggression I will be separating them. As they get older and bigger they will soon move to a bigger tank at dad's house.
ai1074.photobucket.com_albums_w408_clarity555_20160307_091508_zpsoqu7hpy0.jpg

The corals are still undergoing acclimation. Though by the look of things I think they are enjoying new conditions. The hammers are as big as Ive ever seen them.
ai1074.photobucket.com_albums_w408_clarity555_20160305_141535_zps4zbvpgt9.jpg

The skimmer: I have to brag about my Deltec skimmer. Hands down the best skimmer Ive used. This pic is one week of operation and it has been doing a marvellous producing dark skimmate. Its handling the bioload pretty well to the point they there was nothing to skim. It is also quite. So it has my tick of approval for reefers
ai1074.photobucket.com_albums_w408_clarity555_20160304_092742_zpsodhk9ymz.jpg