Tank Journal Archive

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
The Tank Is Fully In(except Dosing Pumps)
I have finally finished!!!
tank looking amazing (imo) yellow tang is going through seaweed like a beast already put 3 sheets in :).
20150603_181940.jpg

does this coral look alright he, seems to be bleaching but can someone confirm, this is the only coral thanks isnt look that good.
20150603_182743.jpg

Full tank shot,
20150603_182757.jpg
this guy is looking pretty awesome.
20150603_182805.jpg

the anemone is in place, the clowns are normally there but are having a bit of a swim around atm.
20150603_182810.jpg

The hammer coal (in centre) is looking pretty awesome but a bit if it has died off.
20150603_182820(0).jpg

side shot of tank
link to a video of the tank coming soon (just uploading it to youtube)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looking really good Andrew :D It's definitely going to be a nice reef tank :)

The unfortunate part about a tank move and upset is you will find you may lose a few of the sps and some of the corals and such will shrink back a little and some may die off. If you keep a close eye on parameters and always have some water change water on hand you'll be golden :) Don't stress too much if things look crap for a month or so while everything settles but once it does you'll be going guns blazing! :)

And if you are ever in desperate need of help or advice I'm only 5 minutes away :p

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
t
Looking really good Andrew :D It's definitely going to be a nice reef tank :)

The unfortunate part about a tank move and upset is you will find you may lose a few of the sps and some of the corals and such will shrink back a little and some may die off. If you keep a close eye on parameters and always have some water change water on hand you'll be golden :) Don't stress too much if things look crap for a month or so while everything settles but once it does you'll be going guns blazing! :)

And if you are ever in desperate need of help or advice I'm only 5 minutes away :p
thanks you Dom, wont hesitate to yell if i need help

E

ezza

Do you know your phosphate and nitrate levels? I'd say nutrients are high. Try to get on that. You can always frag the SPS. I have heard it said that chopping corals up can help prevent bleaching. It could even be that your lights are too much just now. You could turn the strength down or shorten the length of the cycle to see if that helps.

Bleaching is where the zooxanthellae become overwhelmed by nutrients or light. They gorge themselves, go super bright briefly, then produce hydrogen peroxide from the over excitement and expel from the coral skeleton, leaving the hard white skeleton behind or mush if it's a softy.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Do you know your phosphate and nitrate levels? I'd say nutrients are high. Try to get on that. You can always frag the SPS. I have heard it said that chopping corals up can help prevent bleaching. It could even be that your lights are too much just now. You could turn the strength down or shorten the length of the cycle to see if that helps.

Bleaching is where the zooxanthellae become overwhelmed by nutrients or light. They gorge themselves, go super bright briefly, then produce hydrogen peroxide from the over excitement and expel from the coral skeleton, leaving the hard white skeleton behind or mush if it's a softy.
i know phosphate but not nitrate, will have to get a test kit, any recommendations (are api ok?). thanks for the info i think i will just try my luck with the coral as it isnt the best looking thing

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Pretty sure I have a nitrate test kit you can borrow/have, mine have always been undetectable so I don't test for it anymore

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Don't be upset if you lose that SPS, its pretty much a goner anyway. You could frag it if you like but the rest will probably bleach anyway.
You should see your nutrients falling over the next couple of months as you keep up water changes. If they don't then you can look in to some alternate methods but I wouldn't be worried at the moment as the tank is effectively a week old.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Don't be upset if you lose that SPS, its pretty much a goner anyway. You could frag it if you like but the rest will probably bleach anyway.
You should see your nutrients falling over the next couple of months as you keep up water changes. If they don't then you can look in to some alternate methods but I wouldn't be worried at the moment as the tank is effectively a week old.
dont worry, i dont like any of my sps's that i have, they all look horrible,

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You did a GREAT job young man, keep up the good work. I passed on that 4 footer I was looking at, it didn't have silicone to the top of the front glass. The thoughts of 400 litres of water on the floor isn't that appealing.