Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The Teeny Tiniest Copperband In All The Land
Boy, oh, boy was today a good reefing day! After many moons of wanting, the gods have smiled upon me with the addition of the smallest and most cute little Copperband Butterflyfish I've ever seen :) Today is a good day lol Big thanks to @Deerpark Aquarium for such an amazing little fish! Not even 10minutes in the tank and he's already picking around at the rock :)
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_2064_edited_zpshuj8akd7.jpg

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_2070_edited_zps3mwuzbxg.jpg

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_2075_edited_zpsk3ek7ozj.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I want him (her?).

I have a copperband on the top of my wish list :)

I will be interested to see how you go converting him to different foods.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I want him (her?).

I have a copperband on the top of my wish list :)

I will be interested to see how you go converting him to different foods.
I have no idea lol not sure of the difference in sex or if they change over time lol so I've just decided on him
I've been wanting one for ages so when I saw a shipment of these tiny ones were going to Deer Park I had my name on one before they even got in store haha

I'm hoping due to the age of the little guy by the time he gets a little bigger and needs a little more food than just pickings, he'll be so adjusted to prepared feedings and the other fish eating that it'll just sort of happen :)

Very, very adorable.

Love how his body looks so translucent in the first photo, you can see the skeleton.

Good luck with her.
Thanks :) When I was taking the photo's I was thinking "damn halide ruining my shots" then I saw this one and it's pretty cool the way you can see the skeleton :)

A bit of luck is always appreciated!

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
I was at Deer Park this week buying 4 pep shrimp to clean up my Aipstasia. I saw the tiny Copperbands and thought that one of them would probably clean up the Aipstasia and be a much nicer addition to the tank, but I resisted the temptation.

The peps have annihilated the Aipstasia by the way. Only took them 48 hours and as far as I can tell all Aipstasia is gone! Unfortunately I expect my flame hawk will now eat the peps...

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I was at Deer Park this week buying 4 pep shrimp to clean up my Aipstasia. I saw the tiny Copperbands and thought that one of them would probably clean up the Aipstasia and be a much nicer addition to the tank, but I resisted the temptation.

The peps have annihilated the Aipstasia by the way. Only took them 48 hours and as far as I can tell all Aipstasia is gone! Unfortunately I expect my flame hawk will now eat the peps...
Impressive! Thought the flame hawk would eat the pepps quicker than they could eat the aptasia!

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Impressive! Thought the flame hawk would eat the pepps quicker than they could eat the aptasia!
I put the flame hawk into a segregation tank for the first 2 days, and once the peps had cleared up all of the aiptasia I could see, I let him loose again. So far the peps have survived 2 nights in with the flame hawk.

The most interesting thing about having the flame hawk locked up for 2 days was watching the RLC shrimp's behaviour change. All of a sudden he was all over the tank instead of remaining in his usual territory at the back of the tank.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I put the flame hawk into a segregation tank for the first 2 days, and once the peps had cleared up all of the aiptasia I could see, I let him loose again. So far the peps have survived 2 nights in with the flame hawk.

The most interesting thing about having the flame hawk locked up for 2 days was watching the RLC shrimp's behaviour change. All of a sudden he was all over the tank instead of remaining in his usual territory at the back of the tank.
Sounds about right lol my RLC used to want to be all over my hawkfish but they hated him haha

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
My peppermint jumped after he saw the hawk shimmy and quiver, no doubt in anticipation of eating the shrimp.... It's fascinating to watch the hawk when he is in hunting mode. Personality plus in a small package. :p

Angie

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
@Wrangy I hope your CBB is settling in to its new home. I recently read an interesting article on feeding Copperbands in an old issue of Reef Hobbyist magazine. Here's the link in case you haven't seen it:

http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/magazines_files/5caf41d62364d5b41a893adc1a9dd5d4-34-web.pdf
Settling in really well :) Seems to be inquisitive over the frozen food now which is a good sign :)

I haven't seen that article and it was a great read, I had read of similar devices and was planning on making one for myself when the little guy has grown a bit more too! It's a great way to replicate a natural feeding habit :)