Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Things That Make You Go Hmmmm... Crabs, Missing Fish, Whats That Weird Smell, Why Is There Bubbles
No, not bubbles the monkey..

I have not been able to FWD the live rock with the stone crab living in it, as it has the most amount of coralline algae growing on it, the crab trap seems to be a total fail as well, persistence for now, otherwise a skewer for him!

The anemone shrimp i thought had been killed by the crab has not seen an untimely demise, instead it decided to jump ship to the other anemone hiding behind my rockwork since the day i put it in, it's now come out a bit.. so that is some happy news.

my sand hopper blenny went missing around 4pm yesterday, can't find him on the floor anywhere, so it doesn't look like he's done the heave-ho and jumped out, not sure what has happened to him, it did look like i had a couple of pieces of floating white flesh in the tank this afternoon....

possible my pistol shrimp had a snack? but he is blind and never comes out of his burrow so.. that seems unlikely, the sand hopper blenny did have a very swollen abdomen, kind of protruding in a triangle shape, no idea what they look like when pregnant or the gestation period, she'd have had to of come from the ocean to the shop to me already up the duff though.... that also seems like a massive long shot, but maybe she is hiding in the rocks for this reason?

The last chamber of my sump has some white foam on it, and when I walk into the tank room there is a very strong 'ocean' smell.... maybe because something has died in the tank?

all levels seem perfect, at a bit of a loss really.. maybe its just part of the tank maturing, maybe it needs a bigger water change this week.. all a bit odd really but everything 'seems' perfect

I just get the niggling feeling it isn't

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
possible my pistol shrimp had a snack? but he is blind and never comes out of his burrow so.. that seems unlikely, the sand hopper blenny did have a very swollen abdomen, kind of protruding in a triangle shape, no idea what they look like when pregnant or the gestation period, she'd have had to of come from the ocean to the shop to me already up the duff though.... that also seems like a massive long shot, but maybe she is hiding in the rocks for this reason?
I remember maybe a month or two ago another reefer on here posted a similar story about a blenny that died with an enlarged abdomen...

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Right, so maybe common issue.

Thanks for the info.

Also it looks like my strom snails have had some kids, so I guess thats a good thing too