Off-Topic

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Thinking of getting a DSLR
Howdy

So been thinking of getting a DSLR. Now I am not really into photography at the moment, but I am interested in it, so may get into it a bit. Want something that I can take a decent shot of things with, but also use it as our camera for trips etc too.

I don't want to spend heaps on one as I may not enjoy it and never use it. I was looking at a Cannon EOS100D with an EF-S 18-55mm additional lense, going for around $450. Any thoughts on it? That is about what I want to spend, can I get something better for that price?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Depends how 'into' it you are going to get. I have a Sony Nex 3, mirrorless DSLR, which I LOVE ... but limited in terms of lenses.

I love the compact size though, much more likely to take with me than a full on DSLR.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
well I want something I can use everyday but can go far enough with if I get into it. Its hard to say how into it I will get until I, well, get into it? Seems to be heaps of lenses available for this camera.

Nov 15, 2012
Go out there and have a look at the DSLRs Awesome details and cheaper.

I have a Canon 5D. But I would say travelling O/S sometimes it is a pain in the arse so I am looking at getting a Lumix GX-1 or something.

Personal preference really.

Canon are great. Nothing wrong with Nikon, or Sony. It will come down mainly to what you take photos off and IMO if they will mainly be just holding camera for me I like something a little heavier as it is easier to keep still hence Canon. If you prefer lighter maybe Nikon or Sony...

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
arent Costco grey though? So warrenty etc is a pain in the neck?

I dont really mind the weight, just want something that caters to both needs. Like I can take a photo of something on hols, but can take a nice macro too

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
well I want something I can use everyday but can go far enough with if I get into it. Its hard to say how into it I will get until I, well, get into it? Seems to be heaps of lenses available for this camera.
I was the same ... had grand plans of becoming a professional. Reality is that the Nex3 is more than I need, can do the manual stuff just like a full sized but it's light and easy to use as a point and shoot too.

You can get all of the lenses, I meant that you can't use the more specialty ones. Like the $5k macro lenses ... if you ever got THAT into it.

I don't have a macro lens but would like one someday, just the lens that came with it.

Damo

Jun 4, 2012
Ipswich
late last year i bought a Canon 600d. Was about 1k have used it about 5 times. I want to learn more about it but finding the time is the hard thing :(

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
The 1100d I want comes with a macro lense. Not sure how good it is but should be good enough to start.

I have no interest in doing it professionally, just as a hobby

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
try go for something a little better then the 1100D, maybe a second hand camera is an option. alot of my pics recently were with my old 500D, (had good quality lens on it worth 8x its value tho) ! what about second hand 60D?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
not willing to spend that much mate, the 2nd hand ones I have found are still over the 1k mark. I am looking $400 absolute tops, I just want an entry level to see if its something I want, I would rather pay $400 now and $1500 in 12 months if I enjoy it, than $1000 now and wish I didn't buy it. This one is actually on sale in HN for $320.

Let me ask it in another way, maybe should have to start with...

If you had $400 to spend on a new camera (don't want a 2nd hand one) what one would you go for. Not concerned about lenses etc etc, as in get this one for $400 and get this $2000 lense, just after a good entry point to see if its something I want to pursue.

Understand that I am looking at entry level, really I do, but that is all I am willing to spend on it. I know its hard to suggest something of lower quality to someone, I get that a $2400 camera is going to be better than a $400 camera, I am just after some guidance, this suits my budget and appears to tick all the boxes for what I want, just seeing if there is something better out there in this price range.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
for the price the 600d is a good bang for buck camera,
  • 18 megapixels CMOS image sensor
  • Scene Intelligent Auto mode
  • Full-HD EOS Movie
  • On-screen Feature Guide
  • 3.7fps continuous shooting
  • Wide-area 9-point AF
  • 1,040k-dot vari-angle 3.0-inch LCD
  • Basic+ and Creative Filters
  • Built-in wireless flash control
the kit lens sucks but hey that can always be changed latter if you like it! if you want to shoot marine macros cant beat the tamron 901mm 2.8 macro, its around 370$

Damo

Jun 4, 2012
Ipswich
for the price the 600d is a good bang for buck camera,
  • 18 megapixels CMOS image sensor
  • Scene Intelligent Auto mode
  • Full-HD EOS Movie
  • On-screen Feature Guide
  • 3.7fps continuous shooting
  • Wide-area 9-point AF
  • 1,040k-dot vari-angle 3.0-inch LCD
  • Basic+ and Creative Filters
  • Built-in wireless flash control
the kit lens sucks but hey that can always be changed latter if you like it! if you want to shoot marine macros cant beat the tamron 901mm 2.8 macro, its around 370$
I have seen your photos man fancy taking on a student lol?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
for those concerned with size the 100D comes out soon and has some decent internals
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-100d-dslr-body/MTAwMjU2Nw_A_A
  • World’s smallest (116.8 x 90.7 x69.4mm) / lightest (370g)
  • STM Lens Support for Quiet AF in Movies
  • 18.0 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5 Image Processor
  • 3.0 inch (1040k) Clear View II TFT Touch Screen LCD
  • ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600
  • Full HD Movie Mode with Movie Servo AF
  • 4.0 fps Continuous Shooting
  • 9-point AF system
  • Seven Creative Filters that can be displayed in real time
  • New Special Scene Modes: Kids, Food and Candlelight
these new ones should be better in low light compared to the digic 4

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
@MTG - the one you said ranging from $400-$500 is actually $560? Although I did say I will only spend $400.

Again, I get that you are saying the others are better, I do. But when I say I am willing to spend $400 TOPS and you give two suggestions, one at $560 one at $750, seems like kind of a waste of time me asking. I really was hoping you would reply as you obviously know alot about cameras, but was hoping for some help in my price range, not double.

Will try make it a bit clearer. I will only spend $400, not 1 cent more, so the above are not even being considered.

If you can actually suggest anything in the price bracket I have asked I would love to hear it, otherwise I will just get the one I mentioned. I appreciate your attempted help.

Sorry if I sound ungrateful, I am just very firm on my price, I am not willing to pay $700 on a camera I may use for a week and put away in a cupboard.

Nov 15, 2012
Also one of the guys at my work found a good price on his Nikon then took it to Officeworks and they took 10% of that price and got a great entry level DSLR with twin kit lenses (Usually shit) but was a good start for him :)