Reef Discussion

Azza.12

Aug 26, 2012
Brisbane
Thoughts On Glass
Hi Guys,

Just rang a few places around Brisbane to quote up a new 6' x 2' x 2' tank I'm hoping to set up in my new place late this year. I thought I'd try and aim high with this tank and get a few addons:

- Full Eurobracing - no bridges
- Polished corners without strips
- Starphire/low-iron glass on the front 6x2 pane and both side 2x2 panes
- Three holes pre-drilled with external overflow

Got my first quote back, base case design came back at $1915 (10mm normal glass, Eurobracing + 2 bridges, fully polished corners with no strips, three holes drilled with external overflow), second design at $2115 (12mm glass with no bridges), and a cool $3200 for the privilege of adding the Starphire panes onto the second design.

A quick squiz on aquariums r us shows me a stock 6x2x2 tank at just $400... not sure if I'm missing something here or just really underappreciating the effort going into these addons.

So before I fork out almost 8x the price of a stock tank, I just wanted to get a sense from more experienced tank shoppers if my money is going to the right place. Particularly curious about Eurobracing (I'm largely getting this to avoid attenuating light from my LEDs), and Starphire (never seen it in person, but have heard it is like night and day?). Any thoughts on the value of these options??

As always, thanks in advance for your help guys.

Cheers,
Azza.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you want to go the whole hog, the next one up from regular Starfire is PPG (I think it's actually called Vitro now). Amazingly clear glass.
I used it for the front and sides on my current tank.
If you get to compare them side by side, the difference is huge.
This pic shows the difference between Starfire and PPG.
IMG_0222.JPG

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'd recommend you fought out your builder first and then the glass you are going to use.

There's a reputable builder I've heard of in Brissy. Something like "Mary's"??? Have you tried them for a quote?

Azza.12

Aug 26, 2012
Brisbane
I know..... This doesn't help you one bit but anyway.....
I got quoted $1880 for 6Lx700DX450H... two sides and front in Starfire, all polished and rimless.
Christ that is a *lot* cheaper than then $3200 they're asking of me now...

That's why I ask these questions, hah! You a fan of the Starfire??

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
My 3x2x 1.5 polished beveled 3 sides starfire rimless 12mm plus coast to coast float glass - 3 holes drilled material cost $600
That could give you an idea as I got my glass wholesale

Last edited:

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
http://www.marysaquarium.com.au/ by any chance Henry?? Haven't tried these guys - shall send them a request!
Yep, there the ones I have heard about.

I haven't been to them, but heard good things about then.

I had the impression they were like the Lang of Sydney, but as I said I haven't tested them.

I would spend the extra dough on a good builder, especially if you do go braceless.

I recall we have had a failure or two mentioned on this website.

Yep, there the ones I have heard about.

I haven't been to them, but heard good things about then.

I had the impression they were like the Lang of Sydney, but as I said I haven't tested them.

I would spend the extra dough on a good builder, especially if you do go braceless.

I recall we have had a failure or two mentioned on this website.
His name is Dennison Seeto... He built my current tank as well s my last tank.