Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Three Month Update
Hi guys and gals.
Just keeping my journal up to date.
Nothing remarkable, just trying to crack the colour code of these sticks.
Check out the progress of the SSC encrusting the base.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looking good Nils! Glad to see the fuzz has nearly all gone too :D

That backdrop is absolutely spotless too!! Haha

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Stunning mate. One Acro i struggle with is SS.
What's the secret?
Hi Rob- Thanks
No secrets mate. I heard they like a lot of flow so I stuck it where it would get pounded with flow from the big Maxspect. I've seen this SS happier in the past when I stir up the Siporax daily. Seems to go into overdrive when I keep up that routine.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
looks great! Haha might be a new acro variant the encrusting SSC lol
I convince myself each day it's about to sprout growth branch formation from the encrusted part.
One blue Tenius has already done so, pretty happy to see that happening.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I convince myself each day it's about to sprout growth branch formation from the encrusted part.
One blue Tenius has already done so, pretty happy to see that happening.
Do you think they are encrusting so much because of the flow they are receiving?
Either way they are going to have a massive area to grow out from!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Do you think they are encrusting so much because of the flow they are receiving?
Either way they are going to have a massive area to grow out from!
I have the flow going strong and looking to add more flow in the future, I don't think the encrusting is a result of the strong flow but more as a result of a mechanism from nature.
You see what has happened is a tropical cyclone destroyed the mother SSC , snapped her into two inch pieces which happened to settle in some lagoon. Since conditions are right the surviving frag has anchored itself by encrusting. If it can adapt to the flow and light it should shift the growth pattern.

My opinion is it's easy to encrust on aqua kneed putty as I think growing on liverock takes more time.
The frag plug shape gives opportunity for spreading and encourages sprouting, I hope that as it hits a fully encrusted plug the growth focus will shift to growing into a colony.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I have the flow going strong and looking to add more flow in the future, I don't think the encrusting is a result of the strong flow but more as a result of a mechanism from nature.
You see what has happened is a tropical cyclone destroyed the mother SSC , snapped her into two inch pieces which happened to settle in some lagoon. Since conditions are right the surviving frag has anchored itself by encrusting. If it can adapt to the flow and light it should shift the growth pattern.

My opinion is it's easy to encrust on aqua kneed putty as I think growing on liverock takes more time.
The frag plug shape gives opportunity for spreading and encourages sprouting, I hope that as it hits a fully encrusted plug the growth focus will shift to growing into a colony.
Makes complete sense. Love hearing your thoughts!
If it has encrusted that much in 3 months it should explode when it decides to shift into branching out.