Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have finally made enough time to draw a schematic of how the tide system works on this tank. You will have to forgive my sketching (I used Micorsoft powerpoint) but it will get the point across. The schematic is provided below:

Presentation1.jpg

The display tank sits above the sump. Gravity is used to draw down the water during the low tide phase. A single water pump (set on a 6 hour cycle) is used to achieve the tides. When the pump is on, water flows into the tank and takes the water level to the "high-tide level". This level is dictated by a "outlet pipe" which conveys water back into the sump. It is a very basic system, but in the application that I have used it in, it serves its purpose.

Hope this helps others.

Cheers, Chris.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Do they survive in marine? or will they thrive? I wouldnt want them to suffer because I want to put them in a seperate tidal compartment in a reef system.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
They occur along tidal musdflats. They have evolved to cope with marine waters. They are likely to thrive (the Australian species anyway), but you will have to ensure that they have an area of land. They spend approx 90% of their time out of water.

May 30, 2012
Hi Chris,
congratulations to your success. I´m trying to breed P.novemradiatus since a couple of years in a tide-setup too, similar to yours. For a long time I used j-shaped tubes buried in the banks because the burrows of the mudskippers collapsed at high tide. Now I´ve changed the substrate: instead of sand I took mud from the north-sea (I´m living in Germany).
Now the burrows are stable. Again and again male and female mudskippers are in the same burrow, but there were no babies yet. Maybe the bank is not high enough (only 12cm). Please tell me, how you stagger the tides with two timers. In my setup low-tide and high-tide appear always at the same time.

Hans-Georg

DSC_0812a.jpeg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have one timer plugged into another timer. The first time (to which the 2nd is plugged into) is programed to loose 1 hour each day. The second timer is programed to come on for 6 hours, turn off for 6 hours, turn on for another 6 hours and then turn off for 6 hours (ie. they pump runs for 6 hours twice a day).

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
it is interesting to see that your mudskippers co-habit the burrow. I have notiice the male in my pair to be very agressing to the female unless he enticers her into the burrow.

More information onyour system would be much appreciated.

May 30, 2012
Hi Chris,

I obtain two different systems with four respectively three aqua-terraria. In the first of these set-ups four tanks are positioned one above the other and connected via a filtration circuit. The heart of this set-up is a canister filter which pumps water via an external heating unit into the upper tank, which is connected via two drilled outlets back to the lower tank and again to the lower and again to the lowest. The tidal effects can now be created using this outlet-arrangement. In the three upper tanks at a time one outlet is allways open, with the uppermost sited at highwater level and thus also preventing the accumulation of surface scum. The second outlet in each of the three upper tanks - lower down - is opend every 12 hours for a period of 6 hours via an electrically operated ball-valve connected to a time-switch. The most cost-effective method is to use a computer-controlled system intended for watering the garden that contains the ball-valve and time switch. Using this method alternating low and high tides are created reciprocally in two tanks at a time. However it is important to ensure that evaporated water is regulary replaced so that the canister filter doesn´t end up sucking in air as by virtue of the construction of the set-up the loss of water will be apparent only in the lowest tank.
The second set-up functions similar to yours. But I use two pumps, one stronger and one weaker. When the pump with the lower throughputs is in action for 6 hours, the water flows through the subsidiary, lower outlet and low tide occurs in each tank. By contrast when the stronger pump is in action for 6 hours, the lower outlet is inadequate to drain off the incoming water, hence the water level in the tank gradually rises until it reaches the overflow (high tide).
In both systems the water is not only filtered but heated in the low- as well as the high tide stage.

Winkerkrabben-1.jpg Winkerkrabben-2.jpg

In 5 of these tanks I maintain and breed different species of fiddler crabs, other species of fiddler crabs I´m trying to breed, in 2 tanks I try to breed P.novemradiatus. Each Aqua-terrarium of the 4-tank-system extends over 1 squaremeter, each aqua-terrarium of the 3-tank-system is 110cm x 80cm x 40 cm.

I don´t understand your system with the two timers exactly. If I understand your set-up correctly, the first timer works for 23 hours and in this timer another is plugged in.
When the both start working together, there are 6 hours high tide (pump is working), 6 hours low tide (no pump), 6 hours high tide again (pump is working), and then 7 hours low tide, because the first timer doesn´t work for one hour. If this is correct, in a few days the high tide must be interrupted, because of the first timer. the pump can´t work. Or where is the mistake in my train of thought?

Hans-Georg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi, you understand my system perfectly. My primary timer works for 23 hours/day. It is set to have an off time between middnight and 1am. During that period the high/low tide is interupted (it changes everyday).

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I am working on trying to collect the larvae for photographic purposes. Waiting on the next batch. Will then photograph nad preserve some fry

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's been a while since I caught up with this thread. Chris, it looks like you have aroused the interest of a few international guests which is a great outcome. Well done :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
thanks, but like my fish, I have curled up and ceased all activity over the winter! Hoping to awake from my torpor by Spring (September)